Burning of knee at 8 weeks po.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 8 weeks post op partial knee replacement, when anything touches it I have a burning sensation.Anyone else have this ?when riding in the carcvery long it still hurt or sitting to long.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janice,the burning sensation will last a while longer yet it’s perfectly normal,as for sitting for a while I found if you still have swelling on the knee (and you will) I think with the knee bent in the sitting position it puts pressure on the tight band  of swelling causing discomfort,if you put your feet up on something it may well be more comfortable.
  • Posted

Hi Janice

I am one year and also four months each knee. Partial medial replacement. I believe the burning sensation is the nerve endings. In both instances my knees have been the same, even the bed clothes irritating the scars. It does go eventually. The surgeon told me to massage something like E45 cream into the knee and around the scar.

if I sit for longer than about thirty minutes my knees (both of them!) stiffen up. My newer one is very stiff and painful, I have to ride my static bike for five minutes to get myself going.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Janice, I suffered with this and mentioned it to my GP. I couldn't bear sheets or clothing touching it. He prescribed Pregablin which worked a treat. It blocked the nerve pain. I only had a two weeks prescription which was enough. Its not a steroid but worked for me 

• Posted

Yes I have this even Kitty rubbing up against it is uncomfortable and that soft fur my doctor told me that it's the nerves regenerating growing back and that's why we feel that sensation who is an ice cream scoop to massage the area on a regular basis that will help desensitize it

• Posted

Should my knee still be hurting and swelling at 9 weeks.Should I still be needing to take pain meds?
    • Posted

Hi Janice again,yes the swelling takes a long time to settle,you must remember Janice you had TKR and it’s a brutal operation and I caused major trauma to you,I found the pain wasn’t too bad for me more discomfort,but you cannot judge yourself on other people’s recovery times,everyone is different but your pain should lessen significantly from now on,remember to have an easy day now and then if your body’s hurting take an easy day,lay of the exercises,I’m sure you’ll soon make leaps and bounds on your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information.I had a less painful week at work. I was really tired and hurting on Friday, but going to rest up this weekend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.