Burning pain in chest after taking sertraline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been taking sertraline for 6 months 100mg then increased to 150mg was in a really bad place. Things turned around mentally but then physically started to feel drained breaking out in hot sweats waking in the night like someone had thrown a bucket of water over me. Now when I take them I feel like my chest is on fire and I can eat or drink anything and the pain and sensation can last for a whole day. This only happens now and again. Does anyone else suffer this excruciating pain and feeling in their throat and chest. It's draining me

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello yes i have a bad chest, for a good 2 months now swallowing problems and a felling of kind of being strangled constantly.i also wake up with a burning pain in my chest or throat sometimes. Since being on these i have developed many things I've never experienced before. I too feel drained and fed up it's every day something going on it seeems

• Posted

Hi Moley, yes, I suffered all the things you described here. I have also had that strange choking feeling and it was scary to feel my throat closing up. And yes, weighty pain in chest. So this seems to be side effects from the increased dosage. Why did you increase the dosage after 6 months? 
    • Posted

My doctor increased the dosage because I was really depressed as I lost my Dad at Christmas so everything just got too much. Been looking after my mum who has dementia. I cut out taking them now as it's draining me having all the aches and pains after these episodes.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about dad passing away. And it must be so hard looking after your mum. I understand. Stress makes this condition much worst. 

Its good old that you decreased the dose. I would go back to 100mg too. Btw, this med takes longer, much longer to treat depression, so please hang in there. Also, I think you should go to talk therapy. I am currently on 100mg and I see a therapist once every 2 weeks. I started in Jan and it's been very helpful. I talk, whatever comes to mind, I express my sadness and anger and cry and after about an hour when I am done, knowing I won't be judged because the therapist is totally a stranger and sometimes he gives me other perspectives that I do t see, and I can walk out of the office wiping my tears but then I feel much better on the way home and afterwards. Just a suggestion. I hope and pray you feel better soon. Xx

• Posted

I am seeing a therapist your right it's good to talk to a stranger. Thank you I wish you all the best too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.