Burning pain in my toes, keeps me awake at nigiht

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all--

I have read with a mixture of relief and worry all the posts here since day one. First off, thank you for writing about your experience! I learned so much. I had surgery 4 weeks ago: broke malleous while trekking; had surgery with a metal plate and 12 screws. I walk with a boot but the problem is not my ankle anymore but my toes, at night especially (while at night as many of you reported?). I get waves of intense pain that wake me up around 3-4 am (as it is now) in three toes (big and second toe are okay). The outside of them is numb, but inside it feels like there is a bonfire going on. From what I read it could be a nerve stuck in scar tissue, a nerve damange, or worse yet poor circulation leading to possible gangrene. I am scared to death because I am very active and practice a lot of sports, plus the pain and the sleep deprivation are a nightmare. 

Tomorrow I see my surgeon; I hope she can give me practical advise and hope, but this post has been super helpful in realizing how common my symptoms are. All I know, the pain wakes me up and, like many of you, I can walk and be okay when I stand but when I lie down it is horrible.

Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am 6 months out seen Dr yesterday and I have numbness in big toe and was told this may never be better. I had nerve pain terrible especially at nite so Dr did put me on pain med just for night but it would only last the 4 hours. Just know every week this will get better
    • Posted

Phew! Thanks for your prompt answer Cheryl. This helps a lot to endure but the pain is very intense. I was afraid that since my toes are numb that I'd end up losing them. My pain meds also last abt 4 hrs and the rest of the night is counting sheep and reading abt this. I'm in to see dr. Now and will write back abt what she says.

Thanks again

• Posted

I dislocated and fractured my ankle in 3 places on 23rd December I am two weeks into walking in my own now and having physio, but while I had the boot on for 7 weeks I had horrendous nerve pain in my foot that was exactly like you described. It has totally gone now though, I know it's not nice at all but I think it is the nerves healing, I used to massage my foot at least twice a day to get it used to sensations again. Hope things ease for you soon.

• Posted

Hi-- Thank you so much for telling me this. It is helpful to know that there is an end to it, really. The ankle doesn't hurt as much as the toes and the foot itself. In fact, I think I am over the ankle healing. How long did the nerve part continued? At night it is the worst! And did you suspend walking at all on it? People tell me to rest completely but I feel that if I use a crutch it is not a problem, provided that I don't start doing crazy things. Thanks again and blessings!

• Posted

My nerve pain subsided after 12weeks from fracture date and it was always worse at night. Once I had no walking boot I did walk about a bit and just built it up slowly. As I still have swelling in my ankle I have to elevate it when sitting still.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.