Burning pain under left rib

Posted , 9 users are following.

It started over 8 months ago, it's a stitch like feeling I have had a ultrasound scan on my bladder and kidney and a colostomy but it's all come back clear! I just wish it would go! Has anyone else got or had this pain?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I've been having a stitch like pain. Thought it might have been indigestion feels like I have something there that shouldn't be I've had for a few week I'm having a scan tomorrow. Apparently a full abdominal one. Really hoping it nothing. I'm in such a panic.
    • Posted

I know how your feeling I also have that overwhelming feeling of panic! The doctors kept on asking me if I had lost any weight on which I hadn't! The pain isn't there all the time and up to recently hadn't kept me awake at night. So it's back to the doctors for me! I hope you get sorted georgina 80922

• Posted

Same. Which I haven't either. Mines always there. Gets worse the more I panic. I suffer anxiety so I'm hoping its to do with that. Thank you. You to
    • Posted

I also suffer from the burning pain on the left upper abdominal, do u have back pain also? On the left kinda under the shoulder blade?
  • Posted

I think you mean a coloscopy, camera in the rear. Sorry can't help

• Posted

Sorry I didn't notice I have tried to edit it but don't know how to.
  • Posted

I've had lots of GI problems for months. Tests are all negative. I've decided that it's my emotions that are causing the physical effects. I think the more frightened we get, the more we have symptoms. Working with my doctor, I've started to use Lexapro, an anti depressant. It has worked well for me in the past when I've had physical stuff caused by anxiety. I just started it last night and I'm VERY optimistic! I'll keep you posted
    • Posted

I thought my pain was me being anxious but I don't think it is. It comes on at any time but I will keep it in mind that it could be anxiety. Fingers crossed that your medication works for you. I will have a chat with my doctor to see what she thinks.
  • Posted

It could be the gallbladder that pain is also commun when there are stones in your gallbladder or something else related to the gallbladder. I have stones there and will have surgery next month. Ask for an ultrasound that checks the gallbladder
  • Posted

I agree could be gallstones..could be liver enlargement or pancrease. Get AMYLASE and LIPASE blood markerts ALT/AST liver markers (Blood), Check BILIRUBIN and Bilirubin ratio for gallstones. It could also be something as simple as rib cage inflammation--costochodritis...which there is NO cure for..no surgery--it is inflammatio nof the lining of the ribs..from either trauma to area---or general ostweoaethritis...but rule out the more serious first. For costochondrtitis..all you can do is put heating pads on the pain and take ADVIL..nothing cures it. 
  • Posted

If stitch pain is above waist in rib area, l also thought gall bladder, although would have thought docs would have thought that, but if not its a possible. 
    • Posted

Thanks for advice. The doctors haven't mentioned that. But looking it up it says pain on right side and my pain is just under rib on my left side.
    • Posted

It is usually right hand side for gallstones, not sure what problems cause pain on left, might be as others above have suggested, l guess anxiety can cause lots of different symptoms, but often dr,s think of anxiety depression before doing extensive testing or referrals, l waited years for diagnosis for symptoms put down as anxiety depression, but it was more the symptoms making me anxious due to affect on me and my lifestyle.For me turned out to be intersticial cystitus, easily diagnosed once seeing right consultant for right test-scope. for many its a case of symptoms not being down to common problem, so takes a bit more testing for. So keep at them if you think its not anxiety, good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy2607.  It;s been 3 months since you posted.  Have you had any joy with diagnoses or treatment?  I too have had the same pain as you.  Mine has been on and off for years!  Just recently it has become worse and constant.  Even drinking a glass of water is enough to set it off.  Mine is definitely not anxiety.  I have a lot of bowels sounds in that area too.  The under-the-rib pain and the shoulder-stitch pain is pretty constant at the moment.  I have had ultrasounds of my pancreas, kidneys, etc, in the past, and all normal.  Have also had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy (camera down throat into stomach and duodenum) 3 years ago, and all normal.  The pain is hard to handle at the moment, and stops me doing things i like to do, like walking.  I have always been an active person, so this is hard.  Would love to hear how you've got on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.