Burning pains in the lungs

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about 4 months ago and now I am having breathing issues.

I have major acid reflux everyday. I've been trying to figure out if this hernia and Gerd is what's cause my lungs to burn and shortness of breath. Sometimes i wake up in the morning gasping for air from my throat closing up.

Throat closes and its hard to breath. Lungs burn when i take a deep breath. I was just wondering if anybody here has ever had this?

P,.s I have been to the pulmonologist and no obstruction and pulmonary test was perfect.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. Here is my background. My most disturbing symptom is breathing issues and I have been trying to figure out what is the cause. I have a small hiatal hernia and GERD diagnosed through bravo. But I have been to Pulmonologists and am still doing tests. The test I have had show no lung issues. But given the flare nature of this, I am not sure it is going to catch breathing problems easily. I have read there is a relationship between gut and lungs and that even long term, the vapors of the stomach can strigger adult-onset ashtma and unfortunately even worse lung issues. I don't know how long that takes. I am told a long time, but i also don't trust everything doctors say unfortunately. I had a pulmonologist tell me GI issues can't cause breathing problems, yet there are hundred of studies that it does. So my advice, which I have trouble doing myself, is persistance . I have been so let down by doctors brushing things off, and questioning the severity of my symptoms. I have had head gashes, concussions, pneumonia, drill bits through my hands. None of those compare or bothered me. My symptoms now are out of this world disrupting to daily life.

I think breathing issues are rare, and will I am still trying to figure out if my breathing is related to hernia or GERD, the more I learn the more I believe it is possible, although could have been triggered by a virus.

I am 48, am 128 lbs and 5' 9" (used to be 155lb). I have always been an athlete, play sports and generally healthy. This April starting having breathing issues that hit me like a truck. Prior I had very occasional regurg, like once or twice a year. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted, although I mostly had a very healthy diet. Never had a lot of heartburn and still don't. I have a small hiatal hernia discovered about 5 years ago, which never gave me symptoms. Every doctor says it is still too small to cause problems and GERD (based on a recent Bravo and endoscopy). But I went from 0 to 100 in two weeks this April. Now every day I have symptoms, but some days are better than others, but usually by the end of day is worse. I lost 25 lbs in a matter of weeks and haven't put it back on because I am eating like a bird. Symptoms are bad, breathing difficulties, burping, area under my lower ribs feels like being squeezed like vice and or an expanding balloon, nausea. It is crazy. It is out of nowhere. I am still in the process of trying to figure out if it is the hernia, GERD, or something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.