Burning/pins and needles 2 weeks post op ankle surgery

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hi guys I'm new here! It's 1am I'm trying my best to sleep but all I can feel is pins and needles in my big toe! Feels like it's never ending. I've tried to follow advice regarding keeping my foot elevated but I seem to be the only person where it makes it 50x worse?!? As soon as I put it down for some blood it eases off for a few minutes but everyone says to keep it up.. I don't know what to do. plus pain meds don't work so much for science! How long does it take for nerve pain or whatever I'm feel to become bearable where I can sleep at least? First week wasn't too bad so maybe I got overly confident moving it all the time it's disturbed the healing process?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My doctor told me to massage the toes and that helped. When you overdo it, you suffer. Relax and gently massage. Good luck!
  • Posted

I lee. Sorry to met you  means your in pain. I've come from where your at and it's hell. But it does slowly improve. It may not feel like it but it will. Nerves take a long time to heal and my family thought I had Tourette's for a while was having shooting nerve pain that set of a natural barrage of verbal abuse and colourful language. Grandkids thought it was hilarious. i slept on sofa at first TV going 24/7 I've never watched so much but it helped. I also could not do pain meds. And yes I cried a lot.  I found it better to elevate both legs. It's so important to keep your body level. And I wish I'd known about the bed cage things to keep blankets off leg.  It takes time lee and this forum will save your sanity. I'm so glad I found it. Xxxxjen 

• Posted

I didn't experience this, but I do know that if a nerve was actually damaged it could take a long time for it to heal. If it was just bruised then it shouldn't take as long. Maybe it would be a good idea to call the doctor and see what can be done. If pain meds don't work then there might be a way that the doctor can block the nerve pain for a while with a shot. It never hurts to ask.

• Posted

I'm seven weeks post of the brostrum ligament surgery. I have been in boot five weeks with weight bearing. My feet still burn s little but the pin needles soreness stiffness and numbness still there. Superficial peroneal nerve damage. Dr said it can take weeks to months to go away. Hang in there. What procedure did you have?

• Posted

Hi lee, Im nearly 10weeks down the line and still getting pins and needles burning throbing dull aching soreness you nme it im still getting it. Just started light gentle exercises and have new pain now in my heel and calf, as im using other muscles. when the pins and needles and burning was at its worst i did find that gentle massage helped. I would addvise to keep elevating your foot as much as possilbe though. Nerve renewal can cause a lot of pain and will differ from week to week.....hang on in there. s
  • Posted

Hi Lee, I have just had an ankle replacement, 10 days ago.   I was interested to read your account of pins and needles and wonder how you are now 9 months later.    I know it’s early days for me, but I was not expecting numbness and a stabbing pain in my big toe, similar to a bee sting or someone sticking a pin in it!  This stinging is intermittent but keeps me awake at night.   Any advice please?  I hope you have fully recovered now.

• Posted

Hi Lee,

Fortunately I dodged the problem of serious nerve damage (fractured ankle-- no surgery) but I can empathize with what you are going through.

I wonder if a lot of doctors fail to mention to patients that neuroinflammation is a possible consequence of their injury and also from surgery. No wonder some of us are flailing around wondering where all that pain drama is coming from.

Foot elevation is said to work for swelling, but I wonder if it has any effect at all on neuroinflammation? I would think that you want the opposite-- encourage circulation to the foot and ankle to help mitigate inflamed tissues and get the lymph and toxins flowing out of there.

You might try gentle (gentle!) massage and touch down there, hot and cold (alternating) packs, and infrared light treatment. Don't forget to fortify your body with a nutrient-dense diet (no junk).

You are now 9 months out from your post so I hope you have passed this episode and are on the way to a full recovery.

• Posted

That sounds very knowledgeable and encouraging, thank you so much.   
  • Posted

I had ankle replacement 512 days ago (Oct 18, 2016). Still dealing with it. Had partial fusion, replacement then infection, then it was redone and infection again.  Then it moved and infection again. It’s been a nightmare. They are thinking this time (latest surgery was Feb 27, 2018- fifth and praying final!) they’ve got it...just praying my body doesn’t reject it as this is the final time. Great doctor but my body has not responded well to it. Anyway, my question. I am having pins and needles feeling really bad...worse then ever! I’m not sleeping either. Pain meds don’t even seem to touch it. I’m keeping it elevated. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you and praying you are better now! 
    • Posted

Dear penny76760

i am so sorry to learn of all the trouble you have gone through with your ankle operations.   So far I seem to be improving, when the ‘stabbing’ pain was too much I took Oromorph (liquid morphine)which the hospital gave to me on my departure, at night, and it made me very sleepy and able to ignore the discomfort.much better.   After a couple of days and nights, the pains have gone although the toes are still tingly.   I think maybe I panicked a bit and thought I was going to have that pain for ever!       I’m wriggling them to keep the blood flow going.   I go back to the hospital today to have the back slab removed, and a surgical boot fitted which may mean I can be a bit more mobile, I’m keeping fingers crossed.

it must be so disappointing for you to have such a lot of trouble with your foot and I do hope that you can make some better progress very soon.

• Posted

Thank you! Had a rough night last time but a little better this morning. Praying the pins and needles feeling stops but was glad to hear it’s not abnormal! Hope you’re better soon!
    • Posted

I'm having the same symptoms. It's horrible not to be able to sleep. Elevation makes it even worse. I'm exhausted from not getting a good night's rest.

• Posted

I’m so sorry you’re having the same. I’m on day 645 and no relief. Finally yesterday got an appointment with a doctor in Florida and another at Duke University that are known worldwide for ankles. Praying they don’t give up on my like my doctor has done. Praying yours gets better soon!!!!
  • Posted

Hi everyone! I can’t see any new posts on here so I’m hoping someone can still help me!! 

So I fell on a step in Spain while on a hen do! 🙄 broke my tibia and fibia ( I think!!) got taken to a Spanish hospital and was told I would be operated on! That was 22nd may! Had metal rod on left side and screws on the other side ( left ankle) 

Having arrived back to the uk at 10.30pm after travelling back by myself I wanted to see if I could get some answers! ( as nobody seemed to speak good English there!) they booked me an orpthapedic ap the following Tuesday! (29th) all they did was x Ray, took staples out told me it looked good, hard cast on and sent me on my way! 

Still nobody had explained to me fully what had happened! 

Since then, initially it felt ok in the cast, lots of swelling and bruising the first week, second week I felt a tight feeling of “pulling” around the inside ankle and round the bottom of foot! So went into the plaster room Monday ( just gone) to get it checked! They opened it out all was fine! 

But the last 3 days I’ve had worsening burning, pins and needles type feeling around ( again the inside ) and now a little on outside, sometimes feeling like my whole leg is hot and burny! I feel some parts ( mainly front part of foot, where it curves) and ankle bone area rubbing, it’s literallt keeping me up at night and reducing me to tears some days as I live in my own with 2 kids and not much support around me! 

I just want to know if this is normal, I’m worried that it’s nerve damage? It’s actually worse when is elevated as I feel there are so many pressure points aswell that when the cast is rested it feels so unbearable sometimes 😔 I hope someone can re-assure me x

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your troubles.   It’s really early days yet and you must be guided by your orthopaedic team.   Write a list of concerns and questions and take it with you to your next appt.   In between you should see or telephone your own GP for advice re pain, I kept the leg raised as much as possible (I don’t have young children!), also at night with extra pillows.   You must rest it up, can you find someone to help with your children, household chores?  Other parents?  My daughter recommended Arnica Tablets for swelling and bruising and they were good, but take advice first (Boots, Holland and Barratt).   3.5 months on I am walking well on the foot and doing physio exercises  for mobility.   Occasionally get slight pins and needles, and parts of my foot and toes are numb, I’m not sure that will improve now.   Just have to wait and see.   I also recommend seeing your local Pharmacist, they are usually very helpful.   Good luck
    • Posted

Hi i had fib tib broken just below knee and foot smashed to bits. Two surgerys one to put long plate and srews to hold tib back together and one to fuse foot togeather. Im 5 weeks in so far and getting wicked burning feelings and pins and needles in toes and up leg. Im in above knee cast at the mo. Go back in a week to get cast changed as im 12 weeks non weight bearing for foot fusion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.