Burning/red scrotum area

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had this issue for nearly 2 years now. But the past 3 or 4 days it's been a little worse.

I have a red, burning, kind of hot scrotum. (It could be the underside of my penis that rests on my scrotum. Sometimes it feels like it's my penis that is warm and burning - and it seems to stay red too. I'm not sure if it's the scrotum burning that's affecting my penis or if it's my penis burning that's affecting my scrotum). The burn sensation is similar to a rug burn or maybe a sunburn, but it just never completely goes away. The only thing I've found for relief is to submerge the area in cold water for 5 to 10 minutes and that gives me at least some relief, until it starts warming up again.

Perhaps also related - my feet also seem to burn, although not quite as often as my scrotum. But like my scrotum, the only thing I've found to get relief is to dunk them in cold water. It's a lot easier to keep my feet submerged in cold water than my scrotum. I can't help but think that the two issues are related - but they could also just be two independent issues.

My PCP initially diagnosed it as a fungal infection, and I think I tried every anti-fungal medication available. That didn't help.

I went to a dermatologist, they thought it was eczema and gave me some eczema foam to try. That didn't help.

My PCP then thought to try gabapentin and Lyrica, thinking that the feet might be neuropathy (I am diabetic, but my diabetes is under control). But that didn't help either, I still had to soak my feet in cold water to stop the burning.

On a whim, I started taking alpha lipoic acid. That seems to "help" my feet. Although I do still have bouts where my feet burn, so I'm not sure if it really helps. Just seems that if I stop taking it, my feet go on a major burning spell. Doesn't seem to do anything for my burning scrotum though.

So that's kind of where I'm at now. I'm thinking my next best option is to try a different family doctor - because I don't think my current PCP knows what it is. I thought I would try asking here first, see if anybody else has any insights. Perhaps there's something over the counter I could try. Perhaps there's a cream or cooling solution I could apply to my scrotum to ease the burning. I've tried Cerave Moisturizing Cream before, but honestly that seemed to make things worse. Perhaps there's a specific diagnosis that describes these symptoms that I might be able to lead a doctor to. Or is there a specific type of doctor I need to go to see about this?

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

So yes, it would seem your PCP should be a lot more helpful in helping you with this - and again yes, do try another PCP. Ultimately, a Dermatologist should be able to work with you to find a means for you to manage the condition - so again, do try other Dermatologists.

Having an autoimmune skin condition myself (BXO / LS) I know that it can be extremely difficult to find any form of relief for typical symptoms that you experience, basically, left to your own devices to find that much-needed relief yourself.

Until you fully understand what is going on do NOT experiment with things such as the cerave as by experimenting you could cause a major worsening of what you have now.

What I would also suggest is that you regularly do research on what role diet and nutritional supplements can play in helping to combat autoimmune conditions generally, and specifically, skin based conditions.

One of the major steps forward I achieved was to think about and change what my clothing, bed linen and towels that I use were washed in - and this is particularly the case for underwear and sports clothing that I used .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.