Burning scalding nerve pain on surface of thigh

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone! I'm one week post op and feeling great overall. Had THR with no complications. I'm up and about, limping, but getting stronger every day. My first question is this: every now and then, if I move a certain way (involving my glute muscle) I get a burning sensation on my thigh just below the incision (lateral) covering about a 3cm by 3cm surface area. It feels like someone has splashed me with scalding/boiling water. The feeling only lasts a few seconds as long as I relax and try to rub it out. Obviously it's some kind of nerve pain on the surface. My nurse said not to worry, that all the nerves will need to "regenerate" or something like that. Has anyone else had this type of pain? Does it go away at some point? It literally takes my breath away every time it happens!

Second question: about how many minutes a day are you supposed to be up and about throughout the day? My nurse said, as much as tolerable, but what does this mean? I am walking around the house a few times each day, doing stairs with alot of support from the railings, and doing my exercises; however, the majority of my day is still spent in bed, with ice packs. Do I need to be up and moving more? Thanks for your insights!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!!! I am 10 months post op THR. My experience has been the more you move the sooner you will heal. You need to strengthen that muscle again. With that said, listen to your body. Take as many breaks as you need to take through out the day but, also, move, move and move as much as you can. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU RECOVER FAST.

• Posted

Thanks for the insights. Yes, i think i need to up my game a bit, so to speak. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill today, very slowly of course. I'm going to do this 3 times a day, it felt pretty good, no real pain, just a good feeling of working the muscles! Appreciate your comments : )

• Posted

You are doing great. The scalding, burning nerve pain will go away with time. Its steal healing. I don't feel that at all anymore. I cant remember when it stopped. I just know that the more I kept myself busy, the less I thought about the burning sensation. 

• Posted

I will say that the soft tissue pain on my thigh was the least expected part of my surgery. It was described to me as nerve pain also and I was told it would take a year or so to heal totally. I described it like a "bad sunburn" feeling and it mainly happened when I touched it and then sometimes for no apparent reason. It hurts! It has gotten MUCH better though and I am 7 months out from my second surgery on same hip. I got an infection and they had to go back in 2 months after the initial surgery. It is still uncomfortable to touch or put pressure around my scar area. Your situation should improve also.

As far as your healing and activity, sounds about right. Sounds like you're doing fine. One needs a lot of patience with this. That's my strongest advice. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your words of encouragement! Sorry to hear of your infection, always things to worry about, no fun! Sending good vibes for your continuing recovery! : )

• Posted

As no one had told me not to carry on as usual I did exactly that. My sister came to help me and decided we should go out to lunch the first day back from hospital. Very typical of my sister, I think it may have been overdoing it a bit, as I then heard I should be careful of getting in and out of cars at the beginning.

• Posted

yes, they caution me about moving the leg laterally. i always use the leg strap lift, especially in and out of cars and bed. thanks : )

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Is your hip cemented? My sister had hers done uncemented and has had awful nerve pain, which is starting to ease now. Her op was on 23rd, mine on 6th. My was a posterior approach and hers an anterior. We both have displagia.

Also, you may be doing a little bit too much, too soon. When you say about the stairs, are you walking up as per normal, or leading with good leg going up and bad leg going down?

I have joined a gym through a doctor's referral, and ache like mad at night and the day after, so I take it easy the next day.

Hope the pain disappears and you have a great recovery

Elizabeth x

• Posted

Thanks for your input. Yes doing stairs the easy way, baby steps. No cement i dont think? ill have to ask!

• Posted

Hi. I am 9 weeks after my THR and that feeling you described i had and am still getting now and then, it feels like your wetting yourself or getting warm water spilt over you it's a weird feeling. But it is normal after op. But will go away with time hope all is going well so far. All the best... Lee😁

• Posted

thanks for the input. actually it's gotten less frequent just over the last few days, so glad!

• Posted

Jennifer,

This is a great forum! I'm glad I came across your question, because I was feeling the same sensation. I am currently just over two weeks after my second THR (Dec 13th). I had the first one two years ago and don't remember the burning sensation. I've had it on several occasions this time around. I do remember having a bruised feeling from my hip to my knee. That seems to get better every day. I suspect, as some have mentioned, the burning feeling will go away with time as well.

As far as the movement and activity. My doc said "no restrictions" after each surgery. I had the anterior approach, and have held him to that. I try and do as much as I can. If I sit too long, I get stiff and it hurts. If I do too much, it hurts. But, just like many have indicated already, you have to listen to your body. At the end of the day (and sometimes throughout the day) an icepack is my friend. I also have a mechanical message pad that I use. It was intended for my back years ago, but I've found it works great on my glutes and leg. My physical therapist said stimulating the muscles is a good thing.

After my last surgery, the four week point seemed to be magical. It was as if a switch was flipped and things were back to normal (or at least close). I know every person and every surgery is different, but I'm hoping it's close to the same this time - two weeks to go! Best wishes to you in your recovery!

Kevin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.