Burning sensation after BNI

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I had a Bladder Neck Incision 2.5 weeks ago and I am getting on a constant basis, burning sensation just prior to passing water, and then during emptying and after. The sensation appears to be in the urethra although the burning sensation could emanate from the area that the bladder was opened.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so for how long.

The flow is very good, also urgency and frequency.

Thanks

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Edited

What procedure was performed? Was it Greenlight Transurethal Resection of bladder?

• Edited

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply, I believe that it was the same treatment that I had for the enlarged prostate (Holep Laser)

Did you get burning whilst passing water?

• Edited

I am in Australia and following radical prostate surgery I had burning when urinating. I found a treatment called URAL. This is an alkaliniser ie removes acid from urine. It is sold in sachets containing powder: add water, stir and drink.

It eliminated burning when peeing.

As for bladder related pain, I found 10 mg of Amitriptyline to be fantastic.

• Edited

Hi barney

How often did you take the Alkaliniser sachet please?

Did the burning eventually go away and how long was this please,

• Posted

The URAL worked like magic.

Soon after taking it, maybe 10 mins I could pee with NO BURNING WHATSOEVER.

Amazing.

As for how often... the instructions were "no more than 4x a day".

And after the surgery that was what I did...4x a day.

But during radiation, the pain was more intense and more often. The oncologist said "if the URAL gets rid of the pain of peeing then take it as often as you want. It will not kill or even damage you".

I took it for the 14 weeks of radiation and occasionally thereafter, when the pain would come and go. I insisted on travelling overseas with the stuff.

It worked brilliantly.

• Posted

Yes, I use URAL as well. Not as often as four a day but when I think I need to. They work for me and of course helps up my water intake. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Barney

Thanks for your comments, not sure if you can get this in the UK I will have a look

How far are you now after the procedure? and are you still getting burning when you pee?

• Posted

I had pain maybe once or twice a month in the year after radiation and took say 4 URALs per day. No more than say 8 a month. The packet contains 20 sachets.

It is now 2 years since radiation and I use less than 2 packets PER YEAR, so yes, the pain has almost entirely gone away.

• Posted

Hi Barney

Thanks for you reply, so i guess 3.5 weeks after the BNI is not a long time to hope that the burning will have stopped.

Keep you thoughts coming it is good to talk to someone that has gone through the same procedure,

• Posted

Rest assured that 6 months after treatment you should notice a big fall in the level of burning and the regularity of it happening.

Every day post treatment things will get better.

• Posted

Hi Barney

I really appreciate your comments, it is always good to talk a fellow chap that has gone through the same procedure. It has now been 4 weeks since the opp and presently the urgency is the latest step along with way with burning, however this does not appear to be every time I pass water. I am drinking around 2 ltrs per day, which is challenging when you go out. thanks again.

• Posted

Do not make the mistake I made early on, which was to reduce burning I dranking A LOT less, so I would pee less (often). Not smart to deprive the body of hydration, BUT easily done as a way to control the instances of burning.

That said, in hindsight I would have drunk less but not A LOT less, that way I'd get the fewer instances of burning and would not jeopardise my health by risking dehydration.

Something for you to consider.

• Posted

Hi Barney

A very good point, the burning is just before I pee, then during and after then it starts to wear of. was the 6 months a defining point for you or were there signs earlier?

Hydration is important for all manner of reasons

• Posted

I honestly can't recall how long after the burning subsided, but 6 months is certainly a reasonable estimate.

• Posted

Hi Barney

Was the burning there no matter how much water you drank during the day?

Thanks for replies

Dennis

• Posted

Yes it was, no matter how much I drank.

To put it another way, I experienced the burning most times when I peed, not every time. So the more I drank, the more I peed, the more I experienced pain.

It was most likely due to radiation treatment.

• Posted

Hi Barney

Can you tell me, did you get burning in between you needing to pee or only when you peed

I am now just over 5 weeks since the procedure

I appreciate your experiances

• Posted

Only when I peed.

If you get discomfort at times OTHER than peeing, you need to be specific. Is it burning? Is it a pain? If so, a dull ache or a sharp pain? etc

I ask this not because I have the answer necessarily, but because groin or lower abdomen pain could be related to the urethra; the bladder, kidney etc.

• Posted

Hi Barney

Thanks once again for your thoughts. The sensation is a dull sensation just prior to Peeing and then whilst peeing and then for a short while after, but I am also getting a sensation in my testicles and scrotum which feels like pressure could this be a result of the procedure BNI and the bladder and urethra settling down.

I am not getting a very sharp pain before,during and after peeing.

I fully appreciate that age (I am 73) and recovery times differ from person to person

Thanks once again

• Posted

HI Barney

I am going to post a separate discussion on the associated post BNI issues

• Posted

For what it's worth, I suggest:

You see a GP for a MSU (mid stream urine) test. If this comes back positive for infection, then you have a treatment to suit: antibiotics.

If it comes back negative for infection then you need a CT of the KUB (kidneys, urethra and Bladder). This should indicate what is going on: stone(s), obstruction etc

• Posted

KUB stands for kidney ureter and bladder. Not urethra. He needs to undergo VCUG.

• Posted

You're right. I should monitor my spell check (that is automatically "on")/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.