burning sensation and tight band under knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am 11 weeks post op for right knee replacement, in the last two weeks I have felt a tightness, like a tight band underneath the knee and a burning sensation.  Not sure if this is normal and what I can do about it?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Does ice, cool flannel, exercise or elevation relieve it? Sounds like tightness due to swelling many get it above the knee too. Hotness is common but not 'burning' and also lots of tingling and other odd sensations. If you feel unsure why not get reassurance from GP on phone or go in. If it is constant and for 2 weeks it needs checking. Mine was more in the evenings but came on and off but gradually disppeared.. 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for replying, I dont really have much swelling now and the tightness and burning sensation are quite new feelings probably starting at week 9.  I do have a big dog so try to walk 3/4 times a day plus do exercises.  Someone has suggested it is the nerves regenerating so hopefully it will clear up in a couple of weeks - well I hope so anyway!
  • Posted

'Burning' sensation does rather sound like nerves reawakening, or grumbling about having been messed about with . . . .Tight band feeling is, I tink, pretty common to all of us, but usually  starts well before the 11 week stage . . . Always check out with the experts anything which really worries you, and the worst they can do is tell you to go away!
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for replying, hopefully you are right I was thinking it was the nerves.  The tight band is really annoying as it causes stiffness and can be quite uncomfortable when walking, but it is early days yet so unless it gets worse I'll just put up with it for a couple of weeks!
  • Posted

I had my tkr about the same time, and I also have the same symptoms , did you have a nerve block?  I did, and now I have terrible burning in my leg and foot, can not stand any kind of fabric on my knee.  I am suppose to get medication, Lurica, but have not received it yet.  
    • Posted

Thanks for replying.  No I haven't had a nerve block but other replies have suggested it may be the nerves regenerating and will get better in the few weeks.  I hope your problem gets better, let me know how you get on
    • Posted

I started with Lyrica about ten days ago . .gradually building up to 150 a day by very small increases.  Sleeping better than ever before in my life, but feel a little dazed . . . so far haven't noticed any change in the burning/tingling though!
  • Posted

Did you have the tightness and burning sensation before, closer to after your surgery? I am at 7 wks post left TKR this Monday and the tightness has eased a bit and the burning sensation only seems to happen after hard exercise.

I would think a call and/or visit to your doctor is needed.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replying.  I am at 11 weeks now and the problem only started at week 9.  It has been suggested that it may be the nerves regenerating so I hope so!
  • Posted

Hi val7395

I am 4 wks PO after Left TKR. I still have exactly the same level of tightness like a band of steel around my knee that has been there from day 1. Clearly your 7 wks ahead of me and I'm thinking I may well experience the same when I'm at your PO stage. this is not a nice thought.

This stiffness/tightness must surely ease up at some point. I feel like the surgeon hasn't left me enough room to move inside.

I'm sorry your having the same experience. I'm found all the Physio asked but feel I'm making little headway. Feeling depressed. Hope your gets easier soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.