Burning sensation during sex

Posted , 48 users are following.

I'm 20 years old and I've been having this burning sensation during sex for almost 2 months now. It all started in the beginning of May, when i had a vaginal yeast infection (it happend for the first time in my life and before that I didn't have any problems with my sex life). I went to my gynecologist and I was prescribed Gyno Dactarin (vaginal globules and cream). All the symptoms were gone in a couple of days and my yeast infection was cured. But when my boyfriend and I tried to have sex (couple of days after the treatment), I was feeling burning pain and therefore we had to stop. I went to the gynocologist again and she send me to dermatologist because I had a inflammation of my external genitalia (vulva). She prescribed Locoidon cream which I used for 7 days and then I went to the doctor again to make sure that everything is O.K. Everything looked fine, but when I tried to have sex, the burning sensation was still there (it is present mostly at the opening of the vagina and in the beginning, I also often feel sort of a tightening feeling during thrusting). I went to the gynecologist for 2 more times, but everything looked fine and there was no infection or inflammation, so she didn't do anything about it. She just suggested that we should wait for a couple of days before having sex again and that I should use some lube. We did all of that (we even had a break from the sex for more than 2 weeks), but nothing seems to help and the lube only reduces the problem a little bit, but the burning pain is still there. I should mention that we don't use condoms, because I'm on the pill, but we did try to use them and it didn't make any difference. I really don't know what to do anymore, so I was wondering if any of you had any idea how to get rid of this problem. 

Thanks for the comments smile

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

First of all- hello ladies!

Second of all.... same boat as the bloody lot of you and I am HATING it!

I'm 25 and otherwise healthy. For me, it all started about 7 months ago.. I had what I considered to be a difficult to deal with thrush infection. It was initially causing bad burning during and after my boyfriend and I had sex, and pain near the edges of my vagina. Then progressed to itching and burning and occasional pain. After a while of treatment not working, I had myself tested for every STD possible and also did a papsmear. Big fat nothing! How is that possible we are all screaming!? I then went to the gynaecologist for answers as sex was also becoming painful, a kind of deep pain on my right hand side.. she put me on a minimum of one month of fluconazole, which did help reduce the infection and itchiness... but dried me out completely, and turned my sex drive to 0%... I even flinch when my boyfriend tries to touch me now. So here we are now- young, dry, unhappily unhorny and with no clue about what's going on!!!!

Any advice ladies? This needs to end for all of us.. if someone finds a successful treatment, drinks are on me!!!

• Posted

I finally got to the bottom of what my problem was after it not going away. My progesterone dominant birth control pill (Drospirenone 3mg/Ethinyl Estradiol .03 mg) was kicking out my natural estrogen. Since I am with a guy in his early 20s, (and I am in my early 40s) we have a lot of sex and the drop in estrogen was affecting my vaginal tissues. I had to get compounded estrogen cream prescribed to me that is applied directly to the vag. Another approach we could have explored would be to switch to an estrogen dominant birth control pill, for a systemic estrogen benefit- but I have been taking this daily tablet non stop (no periods) for four years and my skin has never been clearer, and my PMS symptoms are almost non existent. (there is always one funny week per month where I am more bloated, a little more emotional and eat more- and I can only assume that would be my 'cycle week' that my body is still trying to impose upon me despite my taking the pill non stop). Anyway, this estrogen cream was my remedy. We are back to good sex! Praise God and modern medicine! But, you know what? It was the post on here where someone scared me to death about VIN3 that got the fire under my ass (instead of just my poor vag) to finally go to the gyno and get evaluated!!! Thanks to whoever posted that. You indirectly saved our relationship. My guy brings me such joy and I love having him to love in my life.

• Posted

So I had to come back to this discussion. I read it a few months ago when I had similar symptoms. Since January, I had three UTI's back to back (so we thought). I had an ultrasound of my kidneys and such, saw a urologist only to find out he didn't think what I had was UTI's because it was a staph based bacteria that was found in the cultures. During that time, I was also treated for BV and then a yeast infection. This all happened in a 4-5 month period. I was never really the same after that and was treated for returning yeast infections several times after. Before all of this, I had never had these types of problems. We tried changing condone, toilet paper, diet. Nothing worked.  I had many similar symptoms, especially with the burning during intercourse. I have finally found a supplement that makes me feel normal again. It's Yeast Cleansing by Solaray. I take half the recommended dose. I've been taking it almost a month and I feel great. I promised myself I would come back and post here because no one should have to live with the discomfort expressed here. It might not help everyone here, but maybe even one can benefit like I have. Good luck! Thanks for posting here and helping me feel less alone during this process.

• Posted

Thanks for coming back here to tell us, I was worried reading all these comments about the same issue but no one has posted comments helping the fact
  • Posted

Tell me what happened? Did you cure it? How did you do it? It’s been 5 months for me I hate it sad
    • Posted

I honestly got off the depo. I haven’t been on any type of medication to prevent pregnancy so no type of birth control. It has definitely helped! The burning sensation started to fade month after month. 
  • Posted

Hello, i’m Selena. 

I have been having the same situation on and off but it has gotten worse this past month. I have been trying to conceive and I did get a bad yeast infection, and i have not had sex since last month just in case. And once i tried again, burning. No other symptoms. 

Has anyone figured out why? Or maybe how to get treated? 

• Posted

I'm 22 it all started in the month of may. I started to notice that im having this thick lump like discharge frequently with some fishy odour... So I took some medication and it would stopped for some days but would continue after some weeks and when every my boyfriend and I tried to have sex there would be this nasty looking white thing around his penis and it makes me so uncomfortable that im afraid to have sex now. And this discharge won't go away even after medication m so worried.

• Posted

Hi! Also a sufferer of intense burning sensation during and after sex. Pulling my hair out because this is driving me absolutely crazy.

I seem to have recurring BV, in that the doctor prescribes me Flagyl but the symptoms never seem to dissipate. It's like I always have BV!! And for me, even with plenty of lube it still hurts like like an absolute mofo, condoms or not...also on the pill, Yasmin.

The pain starts as soon as he enters, and it's so intense initially. Then it sort of subsides and I can ultimately enjoy the sex...but when I go to the loo after finishing, my god, the burning pain is awful sometimes. Sometimes there are a few specks of blood too, but it's usually just the burning pain that bothers me the most. Sometimes I just have to sit on the toilet until it goes away, or even take painkillers. And sometimes, it will still be very tender the next day, any time I wipe down there after going to the toilet.

I'm just at my wits end, because I know if I go back to the doc again, she'll just test for the BV and prescribe the same course of antibiotics. I might see if she can refer me to a gynaecologist.

We will get this sorted though, it's 2017!! No way such a common problem can go undiagnosed for so long! 😑

• Posted

HOnestly what I did was get off the pill and start using pads when on my period it’s been two months and sex is becoming normal again. I think the pill doesn’t let the virus go away totally that’s what I believe 
    • Posted

I was haveing the horrible itching, burning during sex and even gotten swollen down there a few times. I also went to the Dr and got tested and everything came back normal. But my Dr did recommend using lub since I do suffer from vaginal.dryness due to breastfeeding. So I got to thinking hmmmm lets try taking my birth control pills again (camila) and within a day of taking them my symptoms were gone. I'm not sure why but they helped me. I stop taking them because my husbamd had a vasectomy. But I found an old pack took them and it cleared me up of my unknown problem. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Are you having any other symptoms such as burning w no sex, itching, discharge, tingling sensation, etc?
  • Posted

I’ve had this problem over a year now and my partner and I have tried literally everything. Nothing seems to help or get rid of the problem. After countless tests and even and operation to look inside I still have no answers, the last thing the doctor said is that it must be all in my head and is referred pain after having the infection. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.