Burning sensation in body everyday from citalopram.

Posted , 7 users are following.

My partner has been on citalopram 20mg for 4.5 weeks and has now decided to reduce his dosage to 10mg as he has had unbearable burning sensations through his body. His depression and anxiety has also gotten worse and has had suicidal thoughts every morning that he never had before starting these medications. He describes the burning as someone pouring hot acid into his chest that spreads throughout his whole body. This gets even worse at night time when he is trying to sleep. Wakes him up at least 3 to 4 times a night and whenver he wants to have a nap. Does anyone else experience this?He has previously been on this medication for depression 15 years ago and never experienced anything like this before. He is getting off the medication as advised by his psychiatrist. Will this burning stop when the citalopram leaves the system?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello maja52635

I am sorry that you and your loved one are going through such a difficult time.

If they are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend they speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where they can talk openly about what they are going through. They can help them explore their options, understand their problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how they can access the help they may need.

If they are having such thoughts then please do try to persuade them to reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what they're going through and will be able to help.

They can, of course, also speak to their GP. Alternatively, if your GP can help you with support for yourself and advice on how to help them get the help they need.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

Yours sincerely,

Patient

• Posted

Hi Maja the burning sensation seems quite common unfortunately, i have it quite a bit on one side of my neck and a slightly different sensation on my right forearm. Ive seen other posts on here describe it as being all over their body or just in certain areas, it can also move around

• Posted

Had the EXACT same thing happening to me re:burning after almost 4 weeks. One night I was woken up at least 3 times because my entire body would have a hot flash then stop then have another 5 minutes later. I would also get tingling sensations from head to toe as a result of my heightened anxiety (which I never had prior to Cital).

My doc dropped my dose from 20mg to 10mg and the burning sensation has subsided. Truthfully now, I don't have any adverse reactions from it.

Hopefully your partner is getting on a bit better with his reduced dose, it was definitely touch and go for the first 6-8 weeks for me and I questioned daily whether the pill was more harm than good.

Good health to you and your partner!

Matt

• Posted

hi there

yes unfortunately the burning sensation is a side effect but it does go away. Hopefully the 10mg will work although 20 is the minimum therapeutic dose. i have been on cit for the second time for 3 months and the first 4-6 weeks were pretty horrific with increased anxiety and depression and lots of other side effects including the awful burning sensation just like you described but things have settled down now. it will get better

• Posted

Me too i am on 30 for 6+ weeks and am having a hard time. Didn't bother me years ago. I was totally off anything for 3+ weeks. God i hope I can stick it out.

• Posted

Maja, I have the same reaction on citalopram 10 mg. It's horrible, especially with the sleep.

How is your partner doing now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.