Burning sensation in feet and hands with Sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello - I finally plucked up courage and took just a quarter of a 50mg tablet about an hour and a half ago. Already I have a dry mouth a bit of a headache and feel a bit woozy However the most unpleasant symptoms is a burning, prickling, pins and needles type sensation in my feet and hands - my legs also feel a bit wobbly. Has anyone else had this horrible pins and needles type sensation? Did it get worse or go away on it's own? I only took such a tiny amount I can't believe this effect. For information I am prone to restless leg type symptoms and have experienced a burning sensation before but only at night and it only lasted for a relatively short space of time (a month or so). I thought it was over and I would hate sertraline to start it all again as it made sleep impossible. It never happened during the day - it is scary on  such a low dose.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When i first started sertraline i felt the pins and needles feeling and like my skin was on fire. It went away after 8 days. Everyday the feeling would get lower and lower. It will go away and u won't feel it again. I had horrid start up side effects and now i have none at all.
    • Posted

Hello Maria - thank you - what were you prescribed for was it more depression or anxiety (or both) and when did it start working and has it worked well?. I have only taken a 1/4 of 50mg and have had loads of effects - not hopeful now feeling quite nauseous. What were your start up effects?
    • Posted

It was prescribed for panic disorder and GAD. I started on 50mg and was upped to 100mg after 2 weeks. I just hit 10 weeks on 100mg but i lowered it to 75mg cause 50 was doing well but not as much and 100 was too much for me. Ive been on 75mg for 4 days now and (knock on wood) havent felt any withdrawal effects from lowering the dose. Personally i feel like i was better off without the medication. My anxiety wasnt there unless i was about to have a panic attack. My panic attacks were awful and could last on and off for a day or 2. But in between panic attacks i felt fine. With the sertraline i feel more anxious all the time. But i dont get panic attacks as often anymore and they are not severe. What im hoping to do is just slowly in the next 6 months come off the sertraline and just have diazepam with me for when i have panic attacks. But its something my Dr. And i still have yet to discuss. I lowered my dose without my Dr knowing. And i won't see her for another 3 weeks. But i know my body and have been dealing with this for almost 7 yearz and the sertraline is not helping me the way id like it to.
  • Posted

Oh and my start up effects where hightened anxiety, panic attacks, sweaty palms and feet, loss of appetite, upset stomach, nausea, pins and needles feeling and burning sensation of the skin. I also slept a lot. I had no insomnia like a lot of people do. I even nap a few times a week now and i am not someone who naps during the day. And i had awful headaches. That all went away though except for the random sleepy spell here and there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.