Burning sensation in leg!

Posted , 3 users are following.

As anyone experienced a burning sensation in their leg?  All posts relate to people having a pain but mine is an intense burning sensation at the back of my thigh and also below the knee to my foot.  Even though it is not a pain the burning that I am experiencing is really getting me down.  A week a go my Doctor prescribed Gabapentin 300 mg per day.....I have to see her in a month.  I know I have only been on this medication for a week but as yet no relief and I`m beginning to think that this medication helps people in pain (which is good) but not a burning sensation, although my Doctor says it is nerve related.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marion ,I turned whilst plastering in a cupboard 16 years ago and can't sit or stand or walk for longer than 30 minutes since then due to nerve damage and excessive burning amongst other tingling etc and it is depressing,I was put on tramadol and gabapentin, 200mg Sr tramadol and 2400mg gabapentin daily ,the gabapentin after so many other drugs is a life saver and I have never looked back, when I sit etc I still get burning etc but laying on the sofa is good,I can't work but hey I'm alive,I too in the past change and questioned gabapentin but try to stick with it as it really does help,main side affect is sleeping more,keep an eye on your weight.I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hi duracell dave, Thank you so much for responding. I think my burning is caused with a nerve entrapment (probably sitting too much at the computer....I`m a senior so I sit far too much!!!  Anyhow started exercising on a treadmill hoping that may help.  Encouraging to hear that gabapentin and the other meds are helping you hope it starts working for me.   Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Marion, before I was on 3600mg gabapentin and 400mg tramadol untill I came to Germany and had spinal cord stimulation surgery,like a very high tens machine but cables attached to your spinal cord and a 9 yr battery in my backside (easy op,in and out,worth it),it helped so much I dropped meds from the above to now, some people finish with meds altogether,it's all over the UK as well, just incase you need it in the future (hope not)

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi duracell dave, That would be great to be off the meds.  Maybe if you hadn`t had the injury while plastering you would still be off the meds?  Nevertheless at least the Gabapentin and Sr Tramadol are helping you.
  • Posted

Hello Marion,

Nerve pain can manifest as burning, tingling, stabbing, pricking, stinging and then theres just darned painful pain.  You name it, I've had it and I joined the Neuropathy Trust wherein I found other folks with more extensive vocabularies than mine describing sensations that I thought were perculiar to me! what a relief.  Try to perservere with Gabapentin. It's not like Codeine where you get relief within thirty minutes.  Gaba builds up and can help with all kinds of sensations.

Duracell  strange to hear that yours was occasioned by twisting.  Mine too, well the latest episode was.  Twisting around looking over my shoulder reversing my car a long way.  What fools we mortals be, and how we pay for it.

Good luck marion. 

• Posted

Hi Thomas, Thank you for replying - I am encouraged by your remarks. I hope I can stick with the gabapentin even though since I started taking it I have developed a cough plus and this sounds crazy I know, I seem to have developed what is known as burning mouth syndrome, a strange sensation in your mouth so I`m sucking on sugarless candy.....but the cough and the mouth issue will be a fair trade off if the burning will cease so I will as you mention try to persevere with gabapentin.  Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.