Burning sensation in my chest when trying to wean off Gabapentin!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking Gabapentin for several years. I wanted to get off this drug because of side effects and learning about the long term damage it can cause. I tried going from 300 mg a day to approximately 150 a day and my upper chest started to burn badly. I ended up having a chest X-ray and CT Scan and when nothing else was found I wondered if it could be withdrawal from the Gabapentin, so I went back to 300 mg a day and it is better. I've been back on the 300 mg a day for about 5 days and just slight burning. I don't want to have to take more! In fact, I want off, but can't handle the burning sensation when I try. Anyone else experience a burning sensation in chest when trying to stop this drug?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle

Have you discussed these symptoms with your doctor again, and the effects that reducing your meds seems to be having? I was offered this drug myself but declined to take it for the reasons you mention yourself.

It's difficult when you are in pain I know, side effects are always a worry.

I really hope things will soon improve for you 🙂

• Posted

I haven't taken this drug myself, but I do know from experience with other medication that it needs to be cut down VERY gradually to prevent withdrawal symptoms. After taking 300 mg each say for several years it isn't realistic to cut the dose by half. If you decrease by 10 or 20 mg each day it will take you a while to reduce your dosage as much as you hope, but you should be able to do so without suffering side-effects. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.