Burning sensation on top of foot

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

I had a bimalleolar op - plate and screws on 6th August and in plaster for two weeks. Now in fibreglass cast until 21st Sept (4 weeks).  Then going in a boot. Since this fibreglass cast my foot has felt like it’s burning on top especially where foot joins ankle and at bottom of toes. It’s very sensitive to touch and is driving me crazy. Can’t sleep at night. I phoned the hosp last week and they said it’s the nerves settling down. However I managed a week of it but had to phone again today and they’ve told me to come in tomorrow. I’m presuming they’ll remove the cast as they mentioned checking for blisters. Has anyone else suffered with this burning feeling? ☹️ Hurts more than my ankle pain though right side of ankle can be painful. Thank you in advance. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes I did, burning lots. It's very normal and it does go away. It drove me crazy and unfortunately the only help was painkillers. I'm about 21 weeks post op so I can't recall at what point it started to diminish. Although it's really painful, it is normal, I've read others on here as well, and have confidence it's not permanent. You'll get through it, stay strong. :-)

• Posted

Hi thanks. That’s reassuring. I’ve bern to hosp today and it looked slightly indented on top where plaster had been but otherwise ok. Doc was happy with it and they’ve replastered with a bit of padding on top. However a few hours later and it’s back to burning. Think I’m going to have to suck it up. He did prescribe some painkillers for me though so hopefully they’ll help. Roll on 21st Sept. 
    • Posted

I know it's so frustrating, for me the ankle break was the most pain I've experienced in this lifetime, and I'm a tough cookie lol.  No one likes to pop pills, but they really did help me to some degree. One day at a time, and before you know it you won't feel the burning anymore.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post-op. I felt the same thing. It eventually, slowly, went away. I found at times it was worse at night especially when the sheets would come in contact with my toes. Now I have only one toe, that still gets a little burning sensation just at night. It is so bizarre. But do know, it does get better! Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi 

Burning has eased slightly with painkillers. More bearable anyway. I know what you mean about sheets/quilt falling on your foot. I looked on Amazon and found a bed cradle. It’s great.  It’s metal arch frame £12.99. You can slide your pillow underneath. You can get some that slide under the mattress but they’re not as good I’ve heard. My foot feels so much freer in bed even with plaster on 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.