Burning sensation/super sensitive skin around knee after TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi,

I had my first TKR 4 weeks ago. At the moment I am finding it very difficult to sleep and making slow progress. I do my exercises 3 times a day, use ice and elevate. But the last few days have been tough. I cant sleep, and the skin around the knee is super sensitive to the touch. i find in the last few day tha doing the exercises makes my knee swell up. There is not much improvement in the last few weeks sad 

Has anyone had a similar situation? Feeling pretty discouraged today!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I also had my first tkr 4 weeks ago. Like you I'm not getting much sleep. Could it be that the nerves are starting to wake up and that's what is causing your burning sensation.

It sounds like your doing all the right things for it. I know when I exercise are walk much my knee swells up immediately. From what everyone has told me all of this is pretty normal stuff and you just have to be patient. I think everyone progresses at their own rate so it's hard to say where you should be at at the 4 week mark.

Good luck with your recovery and merry Christmas.

• Posted

I went through it also. I couldn't stand anything touching my knee. It made sleeping tough. PJ's or covers  hurt like anything. My advice, lotion, vitamin E or your choice and message onto your knee several times a day. I hated doing it, felt weird, terrible to the touch, but it helped. In fact my PT said touching now would make it less sensitive later. She was right no weird feeling now. (7 Months out)

• Posted

I would never be one to go against the professionals but you might think about backing off to 2 x's daily and giving it and your entire body a rest. I've been through 5 complete rehab (11 surgeries in all on my knee/leg) and never found the necessity to beat up on myself. Being overzealous can actually create setbacks in some or most people. Give it a day off completely. Ice, elevate, make sure you are well hydrated, stay off of it as much as possible and try and get some real rest.

• Posted

Four weeks is VERY early in the scheme of things, especially for TKR surgery. It will take the better part of a year to get your knee back to normal. It takes time AND patience!! I will be 3 years out come next April.  I didn't think I'd ever get back to normal, but I did...but it took a good year....  Remember your knee was replaced...that means all the nerves, tendons, muscles, etc., were cut! Your bones were sawed to make room for the replacement parts and the knee cap was also probably moved to the side, so the surgeon could work on the rest. This is a MAJOR surgery. What you are going through is normal. the not sleeping, the funny feelings around the knee, depression, swelling...all normal. I would cut the exercises back to 2X's a day...keep up with the ice and elevation, these are your friends!!   If your staples/stitches are out and the scar is healed, you might begin massaging the knee and area around it and the scar. BUT only if the scar has healed and there is NO leakage or seeping. Ask your PT to show you how to do this.  Massaging the area doesn't feel real good at first but it helps!!! Get some Bio-oil, Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil and massage, at least 2X's a day and start with 5 minutes. You have to break up the scar tissue that has formed in order for you to be able to move your knee properly.  This is a slow process and there will be setbacks...do not get discouraged!!! Everyone on this forum has been there and made it through!!! Also look for posts by Chico and Oldfatguy1 they have wonderful advise. Hang in there and you will get through. Hope this helps.

• Posted

The sensation will lessen in time. Mine was about 5" below the Knee to 5" above. Now it's only about 5" total. I swelled a lot in the begining. It's 10 weeks for me now. I stopped using my walker after 4 weeks and my cane after 5. Then I pulled a tendon 5 weeks ago and it's just now healing, which deteriorated all my progress. Now I can bend at 135 but can't straighten beyond 15. Also seems to be some muscle problem pain from the start. Actually, want my old knee back. I traded pain for PAIN.

• Posted

I'm 13 weeks post op now and I still prefer shorts but can tolerate long trousers. I was starting to get weird looks because everyone were all wrapped up and I'm there with my legs on show😂 Keep massaging the knee even if it's sore it gets it desensitised. As for pain and swelling back off on the strength exercises a bit but continue with range of movement ones if possible. My swells up now if I do too much but in time you will find you can get away with doing more and more. Sleeping at 4 weeks post op was also a problem for me, I didn't fight it I just slept during the day and watched tv in the night. If it's pain keeping you awake then get something prescribed. I was starting to get nerve pain especially at night so my doctor put me on amitriptyline and I now sleep like a baby. 

hope this advice helps, merry Christmas Sue x

• Posted

I could not believe how sensitive the skin is after the operation. I was the same, anything even slightly touching the skin was irritating to the point of being painful, and I wore shorts for weeks. Pharmacist recommended Sudocreme and this surprisingly worked. After only a couple of days of slapping the stuff on and massaging the irritation almost completely went, and I've been fine since. I'm now 14 weeks post-op and haven't had this problem since about week 5/6. Honestly, Sudocreme. Very cheap too.

• Posted

Burning sensation on the inside of the knee is so normal and will last a while yet,as for sensitive skin again normal I couldn’t even have the lightest bed sheet touching my knee for ages and I even had to wear shorts no trousers for the first couple of months.
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies. On the one hand its disappointing to hear that everyone has had to suffer through this but also heartening to know that what I'm going through is normal. This forum is such a great place to share our stories and experiences. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas smile

• Posted

Hi TKR

What your going through is normal recovery this is a marathon not a sprint my afvice is listen to your body take things easy ice elevate sleep when you can as time passes it does get better

Best of luck.

• Posted

Extremely common...will decrease over time.  Some people have suggested different aloes and ointments.  There are also complaints about the sensation of the incision area touching clothing or sheets.  You can wrap the area loosely with an ACE (elastic) bandage or get a "knee sleeve" (picture) one size larger than you would normally take to avoid the compression effect.

• Posted

I have this, had to take my pyjama bottoms off as they're sore against my knee/leg area, I haven't done any exercise or damaged it in any way.

• Posted

I have this, had to take my pyjama bottoms off as they're sore against my knee/leg area, I haven't done any exercise or damaged it in any way.

• Posted

I had my right TKR in 2016. I occasionally have pain but have burning quite often. Had left knee done in July. experiencing sensitivity and pain from foot to thigh due to nerves. first couple of weeks pain was really bad and had trouble sleeping. It is getting better as time goes by. Burning continues to be a problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.