Burning senstion

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had bunionectomy on Tuesday and where my bunion was feels on fire! I am worried this might be a sign of infection but hoping this is normal?? Thanks jane

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to the bunion op club. There are lots of threads on here about burning feeling.  I had that and tightness feeling a lot once the ankle block wore off and others on here also experienced it so try not to worry.  I got reassurance form phoning the fracture clinic at the hospital.  In my case the tight feeling was due to the cast been too tight so I did have it changed after ten days as it was cutting into my toes but I still experienced the heat feeling.  You can try and put frozen peas or Ice pack around the exposed part of your foot for relief and also advise keeping up the painkillers.

it is early days. Hang in there ...it does improve.  Rest and keep elevated for first two weeks.

hope you feel better soon.

sue x

• Posted

Thanks for reassuring words☺️ I'm in a lot less pain than I had imagined so will hang in😃
  • Posted

Hi I'm day 10 post op and I too had that burning sensation I think it's part of the healing however if u feel unwell or it becomes unbearable then speak to your gp, today I've had my bandage reduced so saw my foot first time since surgery and happy how it is although bruised and sore in scar area, have been told to so two movements and walk on full foot now still wearing my post op shoe, hope your doing ok x
  • Posted

The burning is normal, your foot is probably very swollen and tight. Elevate and ice are the words here!The nerves in that area have just been severely traumatized! If you see any red lines begin to run up your foot/leg please contact your foot doctor immediately. Good luck and a speedy recovery to you!
    • Posted

Thanks Vanessa. Not noticed any red lines but I'm now getting terrible pins and needles which have woken me up. Any particular reason for pins and needles in the foot😁
  • Posted

Hi jelli and everywoman, Regarding the burning and tightness, I agree with Vanessa - elevate, elevate, and elevate! That's the secret. Keep that foot elevated higher than your heart. It really does  help to ease all the discomfort and helps take the pressure off your foot while everything heals. I'm now at 11 weeks and a fairly fit 70 - and believe me even though I'm back to a normal life again now as far as walking, driving etc is concerned, there are times when I still find the need to elevate the foot for a while. I get the aches, the burning, slight numbness and tingling especially if I've been busy on my feet for maybe too long. It does and will, get better though and elevation both during the day and in bed at this early stage is the key to a really good recovery. Best wishes to you all and be patient - it's so worth it! LadyPink
  • Posted

Ha ha, meant to say 'Everyone' - this predicted text is not always correct!!! LadyPink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.