Burning skin sensation/health anxiety symptom ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the last couple of days I have a burning skin sensation in my lower back just above my pelvic bone, the burning/pain sometimes migrates to my hip , unilateral on my left side. It feels like neuropathic pain. The symptoms come and go but are present most of the time.

Been to the doctor twice and he dismisses nerve damage because that is the only symptom I have and there is no reason or cause to think of some form of nerve damage. He thinks it might be due to tension or stress.

It started after an ongoing period (weeks) of extreme health anxiety and stress, can neuropathic symptoms be cause by health anxiety and be purely psychosomatic ?

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I have something similar. End of last summer, my skin started to burn bilaterally, starting with tops of feet, going up legs, then tops of hands going up arms. Felt like a bad sunburn and wearing shoes, jeans etc. drove me crazy. Because my mom has Celiac Disease, i thought i would try cutting out gluten and the burning stopped in three days. i enjoyed two months of absolutely no burning! Thought that was the end of it until I went through an extremely stressful period in December and lo and behold, it started on my feet again. This stressful situation is still going on and the burning is always there now, but never as bad as when i ate gluten. Now it's usually just tops of my feet and/or shins. I started gabapentin (100 mg, 3 x daily) in January and it is helping, but not totally eliminating the burning. My family doc says stress could be the cause.

I have had both an EMG and a nerve conduction test that showed no nerve damage. (except for my left foot which was a casualty of ankle surgery 7 years ago...left my sural nerve damaged)

I think i am heading towards asking my doctor to increase the gabapentin unfortunately.

• Posted

hi. where they able to figure out what the issue was?

• Posted

the burning pain is localised in one area or does it spread like an itching sensation at first and is more worse at night but you can get it through the day I'm almost sure if not 100% sure mines caused through medication damage to the nerve ending the histamine levels climb when they think your body is been attacked, I was given two anti histamine s and they did not do a dam thing just made me have more itching and burning sensations Palpitations, disturbed sleep etc and feeling cold to the touch on certain parts of the body its like been cursed several months prior there was nothing wrong then all of a sudden after I retired health problems started cropping up, like I said I get similar to your self but no body seems to have any real answers and the meds only mask the problem if it works. anxiety can add too it plus extreme cold, I'm sure non of us want to wish ill health on one self. the only reason I can think the doctor dismiss nerve damage cause they cannot do anything really. we need a higher power to cure us

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.