Burning throat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi can  anyone help I've had acid reflux and heart burn for 6 years now I'm taking PPI medication for 5 years at the moment it's not working I'm getting acid reflux and have got a very sore foodpipe and  throat my throats stinging so much and chest on fire can anyone tell me how to Calm  it down , been to doctors told to take Zantac as well it's not helping I can't take Gaviscon because it makes me burn and sting more I really need advice I can't sleep

I'm stting up in bed with this horrible stinging sore throat and I eat a very healthy diet 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You have my profound sympathy, there don't seem to be any easy answers with GERD.  Have you raised your bed?  It wasn't possible with my bedframe so I got a Putnam's acid reflux pillow.  It does seem to stop the acid coming up so high.  I got the Putnam's one because it is longer.  Some of them are quite short and I think they can give you a bad back, but once I got used to it this one is OK and I think it helps.

• Posted

I have nor seen  this pillow before I must look for it thank you for your help 
  • Posted

Gillian...i am with you and Dorothy is right about GERD being untreatable, coz ppis only offer some relief. Have been on all kinds of ppis for 6 yrs and nothing has helped except for real food selection and control and upper body raised while lying down. am sick and tired of this situation having an abnormal way of life. but we just have to live this way and try to avoid stress and just accept the reality.
    • Posted

That's one of my big orobkrns I'm afraid stress in my life I care for my adult daughter she as Severe Epilepsy which is a chalange for her and me ever day I also my brought up my grandson from The day he was born I just wish there was a cure for this dreadful condition I do eqt very plain foods just don't now what to do 

• Posted

Have you had a recent EGD scope done?  I would find an excellent gastroenterologist and get a scope done.  The PPIs did not work for me, even at very high doses.  We found I had a hiatal hernia and my stomach was stuck open to the esophagus.  You need a scope to get a look at what is going on and I would not wait long.
    • Posted

Hi christa US I've had three scops done already One early this year thru found I've got divicula of the small  bowl and couldn't see anything else apart from reflux 

• Posted

In the US, there are surgical techniques that can offer help for chronic sufferers who are not responding to meds.  There is the Tiff procedure, the Nissen fundoplication, the LYNX and others but all surgeries have risks and side effects.  There may be surgical help if your reflux is uncontrollable.
    • Posted

I'm scared to have any of these surgeries done I've seen on here how people have had it done and still th same it can't eat food and still on medication 

• Posted

I'm beginning to think that stress is the biggest cause of reflux for a lot of people including myself. I'm dreading my 10 days without pilks. You have my sympathy and I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Gary I hope it all goes well to you I can't imagine how difficult eating will be could you take a Zantac  ?  And very plain eating of bland foods 

• Posted

All I'm allowed is gaviscon and that type of med. I've started cutting down and already have reflux. I don't think I can do 10 days without

• Posted

Have you ever tried mylanta?  It seems to have a more cooling effect if you are allowed that during these days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.