Burning throat won't stop!!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have acid reflux, but most of the time I only feel it in my throat. Sometimes my stomach is gassy, but the throat burning is constant. It gets worse in the late afternoon, and PPIs haven't helped. I've read so much, and I see so many people struggling with this with no answers. It's so depressing. Anyone found relief from symptoms like mine? Also, most of the time it's on the left side of mouth and throat, but sometimes it's the while throat.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I get the same problem and the butnjngs in my chest as well and I get a stinging keep coming up my throat I use gaviscon after meals as well sometimes it helps
  • Posted

Wow, i just logged on to write almost exactly the same thing good news is that i did find relief but only after month (about 4-5) on an increased strength lansoprazole. The doctors have now recommended slowly reducing my dose to see if i can take less but as the acid tends to get worse before it settles i'm now really struggling at the moment i feel like the whole back of my tongue on the left and all the surrounding gum is ulcers but if i look theres nothing there. Its just so sore and nothings helping so i was wondering if there were any tips people have to calm it down until the acid (hopefully settles). Which PPi's have you tried, which dose and for how long? It was ages for me before i got something that worked. Xx

• Posted

I was on omeprazole off and on since early last fall. Then I was switched to pantroprazole a few weeks ago. I keep trying to go off of the meds because they don't seem to work, and I'm afraid of the side effects. The longest I've stayed on the meds consecutively is around a month or a little more. Are you experiencing reflux when you try to wean from your meds? Do you take any other kind of meds? I'm considering something for anxiety since my symptoms are fine when I'm first walking up, but once I'm? fully awake I get that nervous feeling and my throat starts the burning again.

• Posted

Hey Melissa,

I'm the same in the morning! A lot of my reflux symptoms have cleared up, or I've got used to them and they're easier to deal with. But the anxiety this has caused drives me crazy. I started off getting a tight throat and gagging after taking antibiotics. The first time I got reflux from them I threw up all night on the last night of the course, and then had weeks of dry heaving from the tightness and weird, jumpy, irritated feeling in my throat. It was awful. I now don't know how to calm down despite the fact taking omeprazole for 3 months relieved a lot of my symptoms. I'm obsessed with it because it made no sense to me, and the symptoms kept returning. I get really bloated, which I think is where the residual burning and reflux comes from in my case. I wish I could calm down from the feeling of dread I've now been left with. This happened to me so suddenly and was so severe I was terrified to eat for months. It's horrible, and worst in the morning for sure. Hope you manage to wean off your meds and this goes away, I never knew a benign condition would be such a struggle!

• Posted

I understand the anxiety. It really is a vicious cycle since the anxiety only makes the reflux worse and visa versa. I'm off my meds, but the symptoms are the same. I'm really trying to focus on my diet now and trying to stay busy to keep my mind occupied. No easy task!

• Posted

Hi Melissa I also suffer from acid reflux as well an have the sAme problems the meds aren't working either. My throat is always on fire an feels like it is being ripped out an my right side of my neck hurts all the time from the acid I just did the 96 hour bravo testing this week hopefully the doctor will give me good news to help the acid reflux or figure out what to do about it .

• Posted

Lorrik, did the Bravo test show anything?  I'm asking because I'm considering doing it, as I have the same symptoms as you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.