Burning tongue syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

two yr ago I was diagnosed with burning tongue syndrome. I believe nerve damage was created by a biopsie to remove an inflammatory ulser. I have been in hell ever since. Lost count of how many doctors I have seen. At least fifteen, no help.i have done everything alternative and what ever little the medical community has offered. Had two MRI that were negative. Blood work, allergy testing. Nothing has reduced my pain evan a little. It continues to get worse by the day. Have a visit with a head and neck surgeon on mon

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I to have had pain for a year now,straight after a dental visit(which was all rushed) as I felt time was money!  told my dentist,who just said looks ok,and charged me again!  would never go back there,so now have no dentist.  I have been to maxifacial at hospital, but nothing have got rid of it,the thing thats hard with Burning mouth,is nothing can been seen, and cant put complaint in against dentist( It happened straight away,as I got out of chair)  and was not there before,but I cant prove anything.  I am trying to be positive at moment,hoping that it can be cured,or go on its own,   I have one more appointment rhere before Im discharged.    hope on this forum,some one will come up with good news,and of a treatment that will work.  hope the surgeon you see monday,will be of help , as it can really get you down,,I just wish I had known,and would never have gone for dental treatment.

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

Good luck with your appt. I will be interested to see what they say. My husband had a filling done at the end of Sept. 2014. The next day he noticed he had lost his sense of taste. He also developed severe tinnitus. We are convinced that the dentist hit the chorda timpani nerve when annestiesizing the area. He's been to about 10 different doctors. Half don't believe him the others throw their hands in the air. It has now developed into burning mouth in addition to the other two. The initial recommendation was to give it time. Almost two years later after one of the Drs finally sent him to a taste and smell clinic, that dr said she wished he had come to her sooner! I hope you have better luck

Jane

• Posted

Thanks, I don't have high hopes.my concern is they have misdiagnosed this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.