Burning Urination After Cisc

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday, my doctor taught me how to perform cisc. He did it with catheter size 16. It went in smoothly. Then, he advised me to perform cisc with size 14 catheter twice/thrice a week. This is to calibrate my urethra and stablize the stricture. The problem now is that I have severe burning at the glans of my penis when I urinate. It feels like as soon as the urine hits that part of the penis, it starts to burn. I am not sure what is causing it. I could not sleep yesterday because of it. I can't stand the burn.

There was no blood whatsoever when the procedure was performed. Is it urethral irritation? How long does it take to resolve? I'm afraid ciscing will cause even more burning. I am not sure what to do. 😦

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

You can expect some burning as urethra is irritated by a foreign object.

It may, however, be a sign of an UTI which is common with any catheters. Get a urine test or at least buy express test strips - they are a must to have for all catheter users.

You can try creams or lidocaine gel to reduce sensitivity.

You can also try different catheter types and smaller sizes, I used FR10.

• Posted

The purpose of my Cisc is not only to empty bladder, but also do urethral calibration. So, my doctor said size 14 is the minimum I should use.

• Posted

For burning sensation when urinating I (in Australia, so can't say if it's available locally to you) is URAL, an alkalinizer. Alkalinzers lower the acidity of the urine and remove the burning sensation as it is the acid that makes for the burning. Or so I was told. It worked for me.

• Posted

Poking sth into the urethra .. that will come with risk of infection. It was done by a nurse last time for my case, and I had an infection. After that, i never wanted to have anything to do with inserting such tool (lucky i never needed that again after such an incident)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.