Burping with back pain

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi I have had symptoms of burping and a pain in my back between my blades for some time now, put on ppi and it's was a little better, the burping hasn't stopped and the pain comes on goes , if I lay down ,it's better and it's better in the morning. When I sit in my van and drive my back gets worse, anyone else have something similar .

5 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I can't work out why it goes away when I lay down
    • Posted

I have never heard anyone to burp when is in horizontal position, but that is the way it works! Acidity!
    • Posted

Hi Gordon,

i saw a pharmecist about my continuous burping and he told me it probably was because I wasn't digesting my food properly and he sold me some digestive emzymes. Been on them 3 days now and this morning was the first morning that I didn't start burping the moment I got out of bed. Over the rest of the day I have burped a little but nowhere near as much as I have been. Read somewhere that digestive enzymes usually take about a week to 10 days to really work so I'm hoping I have found my cure.

• Posted

its because the pressure is off your vital  organds

, ask any reflexologist

• Posted

So, @steph60123, what is the answer to fix this?

• Posted

Ppi's didn't help me at all. Digestive enzymes with betaine hcl worked like magic. Eat little and often. Don't wear tight clothing round waist. Avoid fatty food. This worked for me.
  • Posted

Funny, silent burps - e.g., trapped wind in the chest - is actually my primary complaint.  As it happens I met with an eminent ENT surgeon on Harley Street in London yesterday.  I raised this issue and he said that it was a frequent side effect / complaint of those who have had the Nissen surgery which primarily deals with LES issues.  It has to do with the Vegas nerve he told me.  "In the olden days," the surgeon said, "they used to section the Vegas as a treatment."  He said nowadays in such instances the standard treatment used is to prescribe either Amityptiline or Citalopram (10 mg). Aparently this has proven effective in distracting the Vegas and helping to restore a rightful balance between your UES/LES syncronicity.  Who knows, it might actually help with the neural back issue.  Of course, everything the others have said is entirely beneficial to your overall health.  Here's to a full and speedy recovery, Gordon.  
    • Posted

HI Meunier.  Glad you found a private ENT surgeon!  Hope it was beneficial.
    • Posted

Hi would amitriptyline help with the burping issue if you haven't had Nissen surgery?

my burping has got worse and I need to do something.

started on digestive enzymes yesterday so hoping they work.

• Posted

I would be very careful about taking antidepressants like, Citalopram or Amitriptyline, unless prescribed by your doctor and not because you read it here in the forum, as they have a long list of restrictions and side effects
  • Posted

When I had Gallstones I use to burp like mad and at times my back would hurt, mine use to hurt as soon as I would lay down, sometimes it would last for hours. It was awful. maybe you have gallstones
    • Posted

I had my gall bladder removed many years ago and I never burped when I had it. When LPR started, the burping also did. It has to do with UES and LES, oesophagus and I can not take antidepressants. So, I breathe from my diaphgram and I also see a speech therapist. I am burping less and less...
    • Posted

i burp and now with chest pain that comes and goes did you have that too ?  and  i was doing fine for a while no eating fat  food drinking apple juice and  enzymes but couple days ago started to eat fats like breakfast  sandw....and that might cause the problem to come back bu t if i ihave gallstones i still have to get them out of my system 
  • Posted

Oh my gosh! I've thought I was losing my mind! I have the EXACT SAME THING! I just went to the doctor yesterday. He says its arthritis (idiot!). How can arthritis HURT when I BURP? But driving, or basically sitting in general is very painful! Have you found out what those symptoms mean? My doctor has ex rayed every part of my body to no avail! anyone have any ideas?
    • Posted

been there done that, indigestion can be chronic pain if trapped. Cider vinegar just before eating works really well, rinse your teeth after though, it converts to Malic Acid in the system which isnt acidic.

lol

• Posted

Costoconditis..I'm going through same thing 36 and my dr told my fibermyalgia and Im thinking like u..no has to be something else..but this is causing anxiety and depression. Just not knowing..
    • Posted

I think this is happening to me now. Every time I burp I feel the gas moving through the right side of my back. The pain has gotten to be so annoying that I'm going to er. I praying it's not my kidneys hurting. I my muscles feel so tight in my back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.