Burping with back pain

Posted , 53 users are following.

Hi I have had symptoms of burping and a pain in my back between my blades for some time now, put on ppi and it's was a little better, the burping hasn't stopped and the pain comes on goes , if I lay down ,it's better and it's better in the morning. When I sit in my van and drive my back gets worse, anyone else have something similar .

5 likes, 84 replies

84 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have terrible burping and back pain between my shoulder blades.

the burping usually starts when I get up from my bed or stand up from sitting in my arm chair.doesnt usually last all day but last two days have been terrible. Today I decided to try Apple Cider Vinegar before breakfast and then I burped all morning from 5.30am until 11.30am continuously . Enos didn't help at all.

not sure whether I should try ACV tomorrow or not but probably not. think my stomach must have extremely low acid as the bicarbonate soda test that I have read about on this site doesn't make be burp at all.

all in all today was very distressing. felt quite nauseous by 3pm when I finished work but then ate an apple and felt a lot better. am going to go for a jog now and chew gum which usually makes me feel good. the gum stops me from getting heartburn.

• Posted

I use Apple cider vinegar all the time. I'Ve had my gallbladder out so its not that either (?)...I just don't get this pain when I burp or when I am in a sitting position. It hurts even under my ribs on the right side. I guess it's back to the doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Janice I have exactly the same problem which only started around 2-3 days ago. I have GORD and the pain I get from it is herendous sometimes. Have you found out what it was yet? Could you please let me know as I really can't handle this pain in my back much longer. 

• Posted

Hi,

I know this post is old but I wanted to see if you ever found anything that worked because I have the same exact symtoms you mentioned.

• Posted

I've had a chest X-ray to see that I don't have a hiatus Hernia and I've had an ultra sound of my kidneys, pancreas and gall bladder. all look normal.
    • Posted

Wow, we're twins...lol. I'm going to ask for a cat scan of my liver. 
  • Posted

Hi, have you ever considered that you may have a problem with the vertebrae in your thoracic spine due to poor posture? I was told by an osteopath that there are nerves in the thoracic spine that affect the stomach. If the nerves are pressed or pinched in any way due to problems with the vertebrae then you can get stomach problems, like indogestion and heartburn. This might explain why it goes away when you lie down.......you can find info on the web or have a consultation with a chiropractor/osteopath/non-NHS physiotherapist. Unfortunately you will need to pay to see someone. I have a tight thoracic spine due to years of poor store and I am wondering whether to have a consultation with a good physio I know to see if it will help the heartburn, burping and pain in between my shoulder blades. My GP thinks it's worth a try. I haven't been tested to death like a lot of you, no endoscopy, no Ba X-Ray.
    • Posted

Hi jayney my GP said he thought physical therapy would help. So, I've been in PT for a couple of weeks now. Guess what the therapist told me? "You have very poor posture." LOL although I do believe there is a dietary component to this mystery. It's all just driving me nuts...and that drive is getting shorter as I go through this stuff! LOL... The bad part is that I'm becoming a grumpy person, I hate that! But, I'm in so much pain it's hard to be my normal happy self. This morning I had plain rice for breakfast. I've had very little pain this morning. It's discouraging trying to make all the pieces fit together, but I'll figure this out somehow. I'm ready to ask my GP to do a CT Scan of my liver. Thank you for your suggestion, I do have arthritis of the Thoracic Spine but would burping hurt with that? I know I sound nuts don't I? That's again jayney. 😃
    • Posted

Hi Jenny, you don't sound nuts to me... You sound like someone who has been in pain and discomfort for quite a while and who doesn't really have a firm explanation as to what's going on inside you - there are so many things that could be contributing to the symptoms - it's really confusing. I feel like that, too. What I can say is that if you have arthritis in your thoracic spine it reduces the mobility of your thoracic spine significantly. This means that everything tightens up, muscles, ligaments, the vertebrae themselves. As all muscles in the chest wall and upper abdomen are connected, of course when your burp/belch you will be exerting a stretch on muscles in the back that are restricted in part by the rigid spine. So yes, it will hurt! That's what a physio contact of mine told me. I have a very stiff thoracic spine and I had manipulation on it a long time ago. I am going to have a consultation again soon. I was also taught some stretches for the thoracic spine (the hardest portion of the spine to stretch, apparently) back then and have started doing them again and I am getting some relief from the indigestion and heartburn. 

Sorry for being long winded; in summary there are a number of contributing factors to indigestion problems; weight, posture, stress levels, type,of food you eat and the state of your joints. Trying to take measures to address any of these that you think are a problem is likely to help. That's what I tell myself when I am in pain. And blimey it's misery sometimes, isn't it?

take care, let us know how you get on, 

Jayney

• Posted

Hi JAYNEY,

called by an pester path today and even though they were closed I see that T6 T7 and T8 are linked to digestion problems and going by the diagram they had in the window I could see these are right between the shoulder blades where I feel the pain.

started digestive enzymes 3 days ago and pain seems to be going away but will keep this in mind if it doesn't sort itself out completely soon.

• Posted

I figured that's what you meant (lol). I really think that the effects of stress and the posture issue bear some consideration if all medical tests are clear/inconclusive and people still have symptoms. Yes, best to see how you get on. You could try lying in semi supine pose. Look it up on the Internet, it's very restful for the spine and straightens out your posture. 

Jayney

• Posted

I have the very similar pain.. Exactly the same words to describe even my pain/condition, but on a mystery on cure or understanding the root cause - constant burping, chest burn, pain in shoulder blades, pain in ribs, also pain in joints (specially left elbow joint) as I wake up in the morning, burping starts... And all day the burping is horrible. It has no relation with my food - If I had food or not.. When I tried to explain same situation to several people, nobody belived me.. Even my doctor was making fun when I explained it - saying buping has no relation to pains and all.. But Muscle pains or nerve radiating pains or whatever one call them are getting horrible day by day - followed b burping too.. This started since 2 years, and since 1 year its been terrible... Felt really good finding this post and many people with similar problem as mine.. Thanks to all of you for all your inputs.. I am going to try some of them.. Chiropractor, if not probiotics and all... Who ever had this problems earlier, please share how your experince have been so far after using those medicines or going to Chiropractor... Please please that would be of great help!! Saving life really!!

Because its been quite a while, I couldnt explain my situation to my family fully and the doctor is anyway making fun, but not making attempt to understand what exactly is the problem or root cause.. 

In this post, I found people speaking my language and going through same kind of pain I am going through.. Thanks again to everyone for sharing details... and please share some more experiences after the treatments you have taken.. Thanks a tonn!!

• Posted

I have the exact same symptoms. I went to emergency with chest pains they did ecg and came back fine. Had some really bad acid reflux a couple of days ago now I just have chest and back pain and full feeling in chest. Starting to get to me that's for sure

• Posted

Hi, did you ever find out what was causing your pain. ..wondering because I have the same issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.