burst ovarian cyst - how long does the pain last?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Saturday 12th A cyst that I didn't know I had, on my ovary, had burst. It's been nearlly a week now and I'm still getting horrible stomach pains and also having trouble going to the toilet (sorry for tmi!)

I don't know if it's the fluid on my right side causing me to have stomach pains or the very limited toilet trips. 

If anyone else has suffered this do they know how long the pain roughly lasted?

And is there anything other than painkillers that can help reduce the pain? (Hot baths etc? Because I just found out I'm pregnant I'm also not supposed to take any strong pain killers and they've only prescribed me paracetamol and lactulose) 

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated as I've never gone through anything like this.

Many thanks !!! 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Dear Jessyg,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I've had a number of cysts rupture and the pain is horrendous. It took me about 2 weeks to really start to feel myself again after each one but you will feel well again after that.

I don't know if you can use them as you're pregnant but heat packs really helped the pain. Speedy recovery and hope you soon start to feel better

• Edited

I have had the same for the last 4 weeks and the pain for the first week was unbearable,  I still have the pain which comes and goes and they say the pain can last from 2 to 4 weeks. I also find that I struggle to go to the toilet. There is nothing much more you can take for the pain. What I do find helps a bit is when you lie on your back for a few min. I find when I don’t drink enough water the pain is worse, why I don’t know but it does. I hope this helped. 
    • Posted

Hi Janelle,

What types of pains are you having still if you don’t mind me asking ? 

• Posted

Hi Kelly

I don’t mind at all you asking 😊 

I am still having dull pains on the left side of my abdomen but it is not as bad as the stabbing pains I had which to me is a indication that it’s getting better. The gynae did say that it could take up to 4 weeks sometimes 6 weeks to get beter.

• Posted

Okay. I had a rupture a week ago and I was still haveong trouble sleeping , using the bathroom, and my leg would hurt if I walked on it for a Long period of time. It’s better now but I wa swondering how much longer I’d have to deal with the pain. 
  • Posted

Hello. I am experiencing the same thing. I knew I had a 5cm cyst on the right ovary and they were concerned about torsion. I found out a week ago. Tuesday I was in the ER with blinding , nauseating pain. They did an ultrasound and said it had burst. What have you done that helps? I go to the bathroom frequently but that could be because I was born with 3 kidneys and I also have a kidney stone in one of my right kidneys.

Thank you , Cyndi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.