Burst ovarian cyst or eptopic pregnancy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 21, Around 5 days ago I went to a theme park and also took a laxative the same night (I went to the hospital the day before and the doctor told me I was just constipated and to take one) and the same night I woke up about 3-4 times with excruciating pain in my lower abdomen and right side, so much I was nearlly passing out and I was uncontrollably shaking and sweating. the next day I took 2 pregnancy tests (as I thought I might have been pregnant prior to this as period was 4 weeks late and showing other symptoms) and they came back positive.

I then got admitted to a ward in hospital and the pain keeps coming back but slightly decreased (still bad).

To cut the long story short,

They did an internal scan on me and found fluid and a dark patch on my right side by my ovaries. They said it could either be a burst ovarian cyst or an eptopic pregnancy. They said they are happy to discharge me but they don't even know what the real problem is, but they think it's most likely a cyst. However Im still getting abdomin pain very frequently, very bad pain when trying to make a bowel movement, and find it very frustrating as it comes on very fast, so by the time I've taken tablets I'm already in a lot of pain. 

I'm wondering how long the pain lasts for? (How many days etc) I'm also due to fly out on holiday in a week also but they are going to give me a scan the day before I go to make sure the pregnancy isn't eptopic (can't do it before as hcg levels are too low).

Will I be OK to fly? Does anybody have any advise? 

Thanks X 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi jessyg,

Firstly sending my sympathy as it's a horrible thing to go through.

I too recently had a hemorrhagic cyst with fluid and it is extremely painful. What prompted me to reply to you is that I too was told I was constipated and was taking a laxative when I ended up in hospital following excruciating pain so I can relate to this completely. I think the movement of the bowel caused by the laxative made things worse.

Unfortunately for me the bowel movement pain and back and abdomen pain which you describe lasted around 3 weeks although it got better slightly each day. I've only been feeling better this week really and still getting the odd twinge. The area is very compact so any pressure causes lots of pain and it takes some time for the fluid to reabsorb. Mine was right sided too.

As long as you are cleared from eptopic pregnancy you will be fine to fly just make sure you have plenty of plain relief on hand for a little while but it will get better. I was prescribed naproxen as normal painkillers just weren't doing it so maybe speak to a doctor about suitable pain relief whilst it's still at its worst.

Wishing you a speedy recovery x

• Posted

Hi zoe,

Thank you so much for your advice, it's nice to have someone understand what I'm going through as it's quite comforting. 

They have now put my ongoing pain down towards constipation now, as I can't seem to go to the toilet and when I do try it sets my pain off (sorry for tmi!) so I'm just a little scared incase I get those same pains once I take the laxatives they prescribe me.

As I'm pregnant i think that the choices of painkillers are limited for me unfortunately.

Glad to hear your pain has settled down! Great news.

Thanks for the advice X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.