Buscopan and dry eyes - anyone else suffered from this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

After years of being on Mebeverine, to no effect, I went back to my GP who prescribed Hyoscine butylbromide (Buscopan).  This has worked really well for me and, for the first time in years, I don't double up in pain after eating a meal.  However, my eyes have become extremely dry (I've seen my optician who did a test) and I'm on my third trial of eye drops to help things.  One eye has become rather inflamed and they're both sore and itchy.

I'm taking three tablets a day at the moment, but am thinking of dropping down to one or two and see if that helps, even though I may suffer from it because of the IBS.  It's a balancing act, isn't it?

Is anyone else on Buscopan who is suffering from the same problem?  If so, what did you do?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Buscopan works very well for me and causes no problems at all whereas Mebeverine made me very unwell after the first tablet.  I discontiued them after four days.  Check the patient leaflet on Buscopan to see if dry eyes is listed as a side effect or google it because sometimes not all the side effects are listed. I wouldn't drop your dose in case it causes your IBS to flare up. Instead, see your doctor again and ask for a different antispasmodic.  You may haveto try several to find one that suits you.

• Posted

Thank you, Pippa.  I got on OK with Mebeverine - took them for years - but they just didn't seem to be very effective and I was still getting the painful cramps and diarrhoea.  I went back to see the GP as things seemed to be getting worse and was really pleased that Buscopan worked so well.  One of the side effects on the patient leaflet is dry mouth, but my mouth is fine, it's just my eyes, which are driving me mad.  I will do as you suggest and go back to the GP to discuss it all. 

• Posted

Hopefully you can find something as good as Buscopan but which you don't react badly to.   My stomach reacts to a lot of thiings so I was pleasantly surprised that Buscopan was mild enough for me.

• Posted

I know buscopan affects vision when given IV but never heard of issues with tablets. Try reducing the dose and see how it goes with eyes vs IBS. You might find that after taking it for a while your IBS settles down and you only have to take it occasionally during flare ups
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I didn't know it caused issues with vision when given IV.  Maybe I'm just a sensitive soul!

• Posted

I take 8 Buscopan a day. No problems with dry and itchy eyes. We are all so different. Are you sure it is the Buscopan that is causing this?

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah.  Thanks for your reply.  No, I'm not sure.  I saw a locum doctor last week as the previous eye drops weren't helping and she said that Hyoscine caused dry eyes.  However, when I looked at the patient information leaflet it mentioned dry mouth (which I haven't got), but no dry eyes, so I don't know where she got it from.

She gave me different drops to try, but one eye is very inflamed this morning, so I've been in touch with the surgery.  My vision is OK, but the eye looks awful!  I'm going to ask to see an opthalmologist, I think.

• Posted

I would come off the drops to see if they are causing irritation.  You may be reacting to those as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.