Buscopan v Omeprazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all 

Few things in one post but hope it makes sense!  

Been on Omeprazole for years (which worries me as I am led to believe that it shouldn't be taken long term or am I wrong?) for what was previously diagnosed to be IBS.  

Have now been diagnosed with DD and when I had a flare up a few months back a GP prescribed Buscopan (which I now realise can be bought over the counter).  

So, I've tried to stop taking Omeprazole as I understood that was for acid reflux which I seemed to suffer more of years ago, whereas now that I have more DD symptoms so I wonder should I take Buscopan instead?  

I am suffering a lot recently with bloating - does Buscopan help this or is Buscopan more for stomach cramps?  

Also can salad cause bloating?  Lettuce?  I've stopped eating tomatoes and cucumber but had a lovely salad yesterday for dinner and am bloated as anything today.  I must get back to doing a food diary as I felt constipated this morning too and some mild pain later this morning.

Any comments, much appreciated.  

Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I used to use Omeprazole, then stopped using them as like you i didnt want to use them long term. I started taking buscopan as my stomach would get very bloated, and painful. Buscopan has helped a lot with this, also I use Laxido as I suffer more with constipation, this has helped me too. I dont eat meat only fish, and find that I can eat most foods, I still bloat up a bit but certain foods are worth it. I hope you find something that helps as everyone seems to be different
  • Posted

My gp gave me 2 weeks twice a day omeprazole about a week later I had a GI appointment and she said stop taking them not for DD I wish I had asked questions was sooo sick I didn't she did say it was for ulcers and acid reflux I absolutely can not eat lettuce bloating and pain several hours later and boy would I love a beautiful salad l miss fresh vegetables more than red meat 🍃

• Posted

I have diagnosed with DD. I take acid reflux medicine everyday. Is this bad for my DD?
    • Posted

My GI said it's bad for long term use and should not be used for DD really hard on your liver ask prescribing doc about it My boyfriend's cousin has been taking it for years for acid reflux and says he wouldn't survive without it If your doc is doing kidney and liver function tests I would not worry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.