Buspar

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone tried Buspar for anxiety treatment? I was offered it by my primary doctor yesterday, but haven't taken him up on the offer yet. I've recently started getting silent reflux, and thought that it was from having my gallbladder removed in May. It could very well be from that, but the doctor doesn't want my anxiety to make my stomach worse. Anyway, I'm not sure about this medication, or any others for that matter.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes i have a very long time ago when i was in my 20s and it gave me panic attacks to where i felt scared all the time and nervous 

Never want to be on that drug again

I suggest Lorazepam generic for Ativan, for anxieties 

or something long lasting because Lorazepam is short lasting and then if you are on it to long it will be hard to ween off it because i have been on it since 1999 and in a way it seems like it doesn't help as much 

You should talk to your doctor about something that is long lasting for anxieties 

• Posted

I've been on Xanax for many years, and have no plans on stopping it. I'm sure my body is addicted to it after all this time, but I don't care because it's something that works. smile

• Posted

I just got a prescription for Buspar also and am afraid to take it.  But, I've tried everything and all meds for anxiety only make it worse.  So, this is like a last try here.  My daughter takes it with no problem.  Mine are 5 mg and there is a line to cut it in half.  If I do try it I'm going to start with 1/2 the dose for a days to see how I react since I'm overly sensitive to meds.  

Let me know how you make out if you decide to take them.  How many mg's are yours??

• Posted

I haven't agreed to the prescription yet, so I don't know how many mgs he would give me. I was looking at reviews, and they were mixed, but many stated how much it helped. Maybe there's start up side effects, but get better in time.

I thought the same as you about cutting the pill in half to start, if I ever do decide to take it. Nothing wrong with starting slowly. Oh, and I would start it when there's no other plans for the day, and other people are around in case the start up effects cause anxiety or a panic attack. I've used xanax for years, and have no plans on stopping. Thankfully, it was just the family doctor that suggested Buspar, and not my psychiatrist. lol

If you decide to try it, let me know how things go for you. Hopefully, you'll have no problems with it, just like you daughter. smile

• Posted

My story is a LONG one involving a dual diagnosis of alcohol/anxiety.  My anxiety sky rockets when I'm drinking.  Usually when I quit for a week or two I feel better. This time I experienced terrible anxiety.  I work in health care and it seems when I'm day shift is when I experience it the worst.  Last night I tried a new remedy.  I sat outside for hourse since it was beautiful.  Then I came in and laid in the bath tub with lavender epsom salts.  Then a hot cup of chamomille tea (eh' blah) with honey and dropped a melatonin in it and stirred it around.  Turned the TV off and sat in the living room and drank my tea and took my pills.  Then I went to bed and read until I got tired.  I woke up a few times but I was happy to get about 5-1/2 hours of intermittent sleep.  

I only plan on trying the Buspar should I run into trouble. I am already on Wellbutrin and Clonazapam.  My doctor is calling in some valium to hold me over.  Like you I will not try anything unless I'm at home.

I've read Buspar is a hit or miss.  It either agrees with you or it don't.  And yes, start out on half the dosage. Good luck.  Please let me know if you decide to try it smile

• Posted

Yes. Had no issues with it, been on minimum dose and maximum dose. 

All I can say give a go and see if it works for you. I have had no probs with it. Hope this helps, and good luck with the discussion making X.

• Posted

I looked it up on a med site, and e even though it had a 6 out of 10 rating, there were a lot of great things said about it.

Does it take awhile to take get in your system like an antidepressant? I'm afraid of any start up side effects.

• Posted

About a week or 2, just go with it, it's an easy drug o get on with, think about it logically and if it helps that's the way to go , I have no issues with it. Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.