Buspar and celexa?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is anyone in both buspar and celexa and dies it help? Why not just one?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That is a good question. I agree with you.if they chose one it wont be buspar.
  • Posted

One of my medications include buspirone which is generic buspar.

Everyone is different in their make up so one standard medication doesn't work for all. Thank goodness because many of us would be screwed if we only had one option. Finding the right medication may involve multiple meds. It's not uncommon and I wouldn't be too alarmed.

The buspirone from what I understand is rather mild but effective. I've certainly come a long way but I'm feeling I may need something stronger. I say keep on it for a month of you can and see how it works for you. Typically the effects of the medication can take two weeks to a month.

• Posted

Su,

Yeah.  I was first prescribed buspar, actually buspirone this time around because I didnt like the side effects of the celexa at first.  I was on it for about four weeks, well still on it with celexa.  I woke up very anxious every morning, still do, my appetite went down, and made very slow progress.  I did feel like I was getting better, but depressed at the same time.  I talked to my dr and he said to go back on the celexa, but keep on the buspar and he actually wants me up to my dose to 10 mg 3x a day.  

I am glad that you found buspar effective and you are getting better. Thank you for the reply

• Posted

I was told by my psychiatrist that 60mg of buspirone is the max dose so looks like you have wiggle room to increase it again if needed. I'm at 20 twice a day. I'm certain I'll be at full dose in the next month or two. I'll ask my doctor about celexa. She wants to add an SSRI. Apparently buspirone works well with SSRIs and makes it more effective which may be the reason he wants you to continue it. I've also done some research about supplements and found magnesium has a relaxation effect. But there is a specific type of magnesium. Maybe talk with your doctor to see if you can incorporate that. I too wake up incredibly anxious and it just sets an awful tone for the day. I thought I had read that adrenaline and cortisone is high in the morning which is why I want to try the magnesium. I'll keep you posted. I have a follow up appt and will be bombarding my psych with a ton of questions. I hope you're having better days.

• Posted

Su,

Thank you so much for the detailed response.  You have been very helpful.  Let me know how your appointment goes.  I have one with my GP on Thurs and Psych next week.  I do take magnesium in the morning with my other vitamins, I don't know if it works or not, or even its the right type.  If you hear anything else, let me kow.  Thanks so much again.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.