But I got told it was coeliac disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi can anyone help? i got a bit of a shock today - my doctor told me my notes had it written that i have ibs, not coeliac disease. i have had all the tests including an endoscopy and biopsies. what is the truth - can you have coeliac disease and ibs together? help really confused!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Sad truth is, YES! Yes, you can have IBS, and a number of other digestive diseases and/or syndromes. Unfortunately, Celiac is very willing to share your body with any number of other challenges. For those of us suffering from additional health challenges it is extremely difficult. It is often impossible to determine which has been activated. Am I contaminated? Did I eat something that is not gluten but is affecting my IBS? Is there SOMETHING ELSE I HAVE???? Hang in there. I suggest you write a diary (I did for two years) of what you eat, how you feel physically, emotionally, even intellectually and socially. It helped me see reoccurring symptoms, time lapses between contaminations and onset of sicknesses, duration of sicknesses and what I could expect as I went through it all. It also helped ease the anxiety. Knowing that I'd been through "it" before, seeing it in my own writing, allowed me to be a bit more relaxed. I am sure this helps minimize (at least to some extent) the intensity, and perhaps duration, of an attack. FODMAP, look it up. You will find that if you are truly Celiac, these food can and do affect your digestive system. Keep communicating with those of us who have the disease and are living above the disease each and every day. Easy? NO! Convenient? NO! Unfair? Perhaps a bit ... but life can be unfair. I'm a Christian so I look for additional strength through Christ. Why do I have this? Perhaps to share HOPE with other individuals such as yourself who deserve answers and options. All the best. Prayers and love, Laurie

• Posted

hi laurie, i give up i don't know what to think any more! i was told 12 years back this was i.b.s but now get told this 10 weeks back.the absence of gluten has made me feel better, but if flared again but maybe due to spices which i have not had for years. i know something being a vegetarian and gluten free is incredibly tough. i think i have s beans and pulse allergy too so that's going to make life harder. i know though that not having cancer like i thought i had, which was the worst thing. who would absolutely confirm what i have, will i ever get the truth? if there is a god would he please show himself? i can't see him! i am catholic and we've had so much bad luck i am starting to wonder if we will ever get any good luck and i realise life is what you make it.

• Posted

It seems that a few people get told they have IBS and a few years later find out they have coeliac disease. To make sure you would need to have another endoscopy but you would have to be eating gluten (4 serves a day which would be equivalent to 4 slices of bread) for 6 weeks before hand. Many people do not want to go back to eating gluten because of symptoms they experience and just follow a gluten free diet. Your symptoms may have flared again because of gluten contamination.. It is very difficult to buy beans and pulses that are guaranteed to be gluten free so it could be that or it could be something else.

And yes, there is a God.. noone can see Him yet but He sees and hears us. Keep praying and reading your bible and you will feel Him near to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.