But what is the truth?

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi i need anybody's help who understands what i am driving at! i got a brand new job 4 days before the coronavirus hit. i was initially told don't work coeliac disease makes you at risk. when i rang my doctor and ask for a sick note today however i was told coeliacs weren't at risk and that i could work. and the truth is? does anybody knows this because the advice is different in different places! what would you do and is anyone else in the same position? i don't want to look like a liar....

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam,

From what I can tell the government initially advised anyone who is eligible for a flu jab on medical grounds is 'at risk/vulnerable' and this includes coeliacs. They were at that point strongly advising that the at risk group worked from home and socially distance themselves. They then introduced the new restrictions where they are strongly advising everyone to work from home and socially distance. I do a job where it is near impossible to work from home and would be very limited in what I could do by socially distancing. So my employer decided to place me on furlough leave. Prior to the furlough scheme being set up they had said that if I wanted to self isolate then they would support that decision and I would get sick pay. I don't think they have any obligation to pay you if you decided to isolate. However might be worth asking if they could furlough you instead? Everything is confusing and the advice keeps changing, I don't think any decent manager is going to think you are lying.

Chutney

• Posted

hi chutney, thank you for replying, i am glad you have explained clearer than all the advice off doctor's or any other health professional. i think as my job is so new and i initially only worked 4 days and was told i would be better off not working. i really thought i would not keep my job. at all. the DWP have been on my back about a fit note, which i couldn't provide because i didn't know i could/not. i was told by my doctor that coeliacs were safe to work. now do you see why i am confused. the government say work coeliac UK say no, the doctor says yes? i work only part-time at a school. i have told them but heard nothing back. now i am really confused!

• Posted

So coeliac uk have some good information about things, coeliac disease is autoimmune but about 30% of coeliacs also have a spleen that doesn't work very well (i don't know how or why). If your spleen doesn't work properly you are more at risk of getting pneumonia as a secondary problem if you get flu or potentially coronavirus. It says on the coeliac uk website you are more likely to have a problem with your spleen if you went undiagnosed for a long time or aren't following a gluten free diet, and that there is some evidence when on a gluten free diet your spleen can recover.

It is difficult to test people to see if the spleen works, so that is why they vaccinate instead. I don't think everyone gets a flu jab, but it is recommended by coeliac UK, alongside a pneumococcus one (which is a bacteria i think).

I haven't ever had more than 3 days off work in a row before so will admit to not really knowing much about fit notes! I did decide to self isolate prior to being furloughed and work haven't asked me for anything, it was maybe only a week or so. I think working and potentially exposing yourself to coronavirus at the moment has got to be a risk assessment for each individual and their situation. We are not in the shielding group so in theory we can go to work. Hopefully your work will be able to help, and maybe change your role a bit so its safer?

• Posted

hi chutney, now i feel even more confused than i was originally. i wish the guidelines were much clearer, either we're vulnerable or not. i read what you did about hypersplenism, which apparently all coeliacs suffer from and saw how dangerous it was so stayed off! the school have very few children in but still have some it's those people we are meant to look after. these little people apparently don't suffer as much from it. all i know is this is extremely scary. i have all sorts of people including family on my back. i am glad you pointed out this is an IMMUNE condition! i will really let everyone who needs to know this know it. it's not just missing the flu jab

i - i also have oral allergy syndrome and am veggie. why do we not matter? we seem to be overlooked. would it be worth me contacting coeliac UK again? their information

• Posted

Morning Sam,

I am sorry if I have confused you more! I don't think anything is clear at the moment, they just don't have enough information about this virus yet. We aren't any higher risk of catching it, but if we were to get it there is potential that some coeliacs (not all) are more likely to complications and get sicker. I am sure coeliac uk would be able to help explain things better. It is probably worth chatting to your employer too, mine was already aware of my coeliac disease but didn't realise that put me in the vulnerable group. If you work in a school I imagine they will have policy as to what they should do, and you probably aren't the only vulnerable person as asthmatics are on the same list

Good luck, and keep us updated

Chutney

• Posted

hi chutney, you didn't do it, it's all the advice that's not crystal clear, let's face it! i always thought we were vulnerable now i definitely think we are and my schools answer was 'oh we know what it's like some colleagues have it'! i think personally it's too dangerous to work because of this spleen thing and it wasn't my doctor i spoke to yesterday it was an on call doctor who doesn't really know my history. i think i should be self isolating so i don't get worse but i wouldn't like to be sacked either. i will see what coeliac uk say. if working is dangerous i shan't go back at the moment. let's see what other advice is....

• Posted

hi chutney, just a quick update to say i contacted coeliac UK in the end, i decided i needed to know the latest information and what to do in my circumstances? i am not being rude but on top of being coeliac i have terrible sinus difficulties. i don't know the answer and don't know if they do but my doctor was as much use as a chocolate teapot! he read some information off a website! i hope i get some support and an answer. it's tough but i'll get to the bottom of it.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

That sounds like a good plan, keep us updated on what they say!

Chutney

• Posted

hi chutney, it's all sorted! i have discovered the school i work out want me back, so i am signing my contact at school tomorrow, i am going to check with my doctor's if i need a fit note or not. i have been spoken to in person and they feel like you have explained that coeliacs aren't safe because of the spleen problems! my school are very kind i think they're duty of care is obviously strong. it will all sort itself out and i'll just rife it out, i'll get it back. as for being coeliac i am doing all i can to make my diet and health ss strong as i can do to go back to work, like i have been doing. that's it ss for the dep they can bugger off, i don't care about a sick note i am not sick, just isolating like other people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.