BuTans Patches

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been prescribed buTans 5mg patches for si joint dysfunction, i've been on them for 3 weeks and feel 80% better than I have done in the last 4 years.

I went back to my G.P. to ask for more was seen by a different doctor and he told me I could not have any more as they are only for cancer patients and as i'm only 40 it's not advisable to use them long term.

I am waiting to see the first doctor who prescribed them to me too ask why he gave me them in the first place, gave a bit of a life line then take it away.

Just wondered if anyone is or has been using these patches if so for how long?

Don't know what to do anymore just want some pain relief.

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was on these patches 25mg for 6 months and I do not have cancer. I had a trapped  sciatic nerve and the patches really helped. I know of people who have been on them much longer than me. Go back to your doctor and if he will not prescribe them ask to go to a pain clinic. Good luck. 
  • Posted

When I was prescibed these, (I've only been on them a week)  I was told they were really expensive. Maybe the problem with that doctor was, he didn't want to prescribe them because of the cost.

That's really really bad that the other doctor wouldn't give you them, especially when they helped you. Pain really brings you down, I am heading up to 60 and I've been in pain for over ten years, I am praying these patches work. How long were you on them before you felt the benefit?

Hope when you get to see the other doctor you get them again. and your not having to wait too long.

Take care and good luck.

• Posted

I know what you mean I think some people don't understand what we and others go through day in day out. I'm going to try and get an appointment with the first doctor tomorrow will let you know how it goes.

It took about a week for me to notice I was not having any pain I think I was just waiting for the pain to hit me it was strange.

hope they help you take care

• Posted

I have been pn them in the past and also back on them again now into my 3rd month. Tramadol too me after 6 years of taking them were just not working any longer. The patches are a stop gap thou, I have had Acupuncture which i have responded well to. You really need to see someone in Pain Clinic, they can put you in on the patch for longer but they will come up with a much longer term plan to manage your pain
  • Posted

I too was on these patches for a few months and like pamsy no cancer I was awaiting a discetomy .The doctor even offered me them again when i went for a check up after the op .I also agree with pamsy ask to be seen by pain management as they will be able to help you out.Did they do an mri to say you had si joint dysfunction?I just wonder because when I first went to the doctor they reckoned I had this but then when mri was done they seen i had a herniated disc .Sometimes it pays to question the doctor and ask why ?Hope you get sorted soon .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.