Butran patches

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone. Been dealing with chronic leg pain and am currently taking tramadol. My doctor has suggested I could try butran patches instead. Has anyone got any positive stories regarding these patches ? 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

hi Jimmy, i have never used butran patches but i would strongly advise you to get off tramadol as quickly as possible- it is highly addictive ( contrary to what it is promoted as- ) getting off it is horendous- read the posts here about other peoples experiences with this drug- it has only recently been re-classefied in the US because of the problems it has caused - it is a synthethic opiate but it has been found to have effects on the neuro- transmitters that does not occur with other opiates, most doctors are not aware of the addictive nature of this drugs- it is sold as ultram in the US- google it and you will see some of the horror stories assosciated with it- i am a recovering alcoholic and i was given it following back surgery on the basis that it was non-addictive- it was a nightmare (literally ) to get off - i am sure someone else on the site will be able to advise you about the patches-best of luck 
    • Posted

I have heard it can be addictive although I've been off and on it without any real problems , so maybe I'm lucky there. Appreciate your advice though. 
  • Posted

Hi Jimmy,

I went on to Butrans after Tramadol. I did have problems with the side affect when trying to come off theTramadol. I felt really lousy. I did what the doctor told me to do, but I still felt bad. I started the patches, and in the beggining I thought I was never going to get used to them, but I did, it took about  5-6 weeks, then I did feel the benefit.  I started on 10mg first, but I would say I was getting about 70% pain releif. so my doctor put me on 15mg, and I would say its about 80% now.  You can go up to 20mg, but I don't want to go up unless I really need to. Hope this may help you decide. Good Luck

• Posted

hi jimmy im on trantec 35 micrograms/hour transdermal patch for nerological pain  ive gone from 10 to 20 to 35 now the 35 seems to take the pain away and leaves a dull ache  without it its a pure 100% agony so they do work you just have to find the strength you are ok with andstick with it hope this helps and good luck
    • Posted

Hi Graham. Many thanks for your advice. Sounds like they're quite useful from what I've heard. Just be nice not to be on pills all the time. I may give it a go soon. Again, many thanks. 
  • Posted

Hi Jimmy - I've just stopped using BuTrans patches. I'd have to strongly advise not to go there. I was on them for over 12 months and had side effects from the start but didn't realise all my symptoms were caused by the patches until I was in hospital trying to find out why I had list 2stone in weight, was anxious - crying all the time -  nauseous - loss of appetite and feeling edgy and totally drained and in despair. I've just gone thru 4 days of hell having whipped the patch off and going cold turkey - hope I'm over the worst but have been told it will take another 2 weeks to regain my strength. I need hip replacement following riding accident 28 years ago I also have heart failure (inherited ) so have to be careful. Not sure what will help you but I'd strongly advise against patches. I have already posted some advice I received from Drug Council in Isle of Man. Good luck
  • Posted

hi jimmy I have been on patches for about 4 yrs and find that as long as I dont do to much they help subdue the pain, I am currently on 30 mg two patches I also take tramadol and lyrcia for nerve pain. unfortunately for me nothing that I have tried has got rid of the pain. I was put on oxycontin for a few years but ended up hooked on them was taking 12 oxycontin a day plus 8 panadine Forte a day and working 80 hour weeks driving road trains not a good combination.
  • Posted

I have been on Butran Patches for a while at the moment I'm on 10mg, but the pain management team have said I can go up to 20 mg if need be. Touch wood to date the only thing I get is tired ness when I move up a dosage. All drugs can be addictive to a degree, I have never had any difficult coming off and going back on the patches other than the pain coming back

• Posted

I have been on Butran patches for 2 months now for severe back, leg pain and nerve damage. I have tried morphine patches with morphine pills but they...Failed! Then my dr slowly moved me to lighter more effective medications. And i was recently taken off of tramadol, zipsor & hydrocodone for Butran patches. Ill admit it is really nice to not have to carry pills 24/7. If needed i will take tylenol with codeine. But all in all its worked well. I would have rated it a 8 out of 10.... But I have noticed a side effect. 😒They have done well with pain management for me but recently I have noticed severe dry mouth. I have noticed problems with my teeth & gums. Has anyone ever heard about anything like this?
    • Posted

Hi Rachel - I just stumbled onto this forum because I'm curious if anyone with severe burning nerve pain (mine is from spinal cord injuty) has been helped by Butrans patches.  I'm going to start them in a couple days (10mg).  NOTHING I've tried has helped me ... not antidepressants or anticonvulstants or opiates, or even a pain pump with morphine into my spinal canal.  So .... might as well try Butrans!  But I'm writing you because when I was in rehab right after my injury, a woman there who was taking massive amounts of pain medications told me to get Biotene immediately to protect my teeth.  She had already lost several of hers from the pain meds sad     I don't know where you are (UK?) but it's available here in the US.  It's a mouth rinse specifically for dry mouth - mostly caused by meds - and helps protect the teeth and gums as well.  I don't take a lot of pain meds, just some, but I have had no problems with my teeth or gums, rinsing with the Biotene morning and evening.  Hope this helps!

• Posted

hi jimmy I have not had any problems with the patches have been on them for about 4 years and much prefer them to tablets ihave been on pain meds for about 20 years. I am on 30 mg and find that ifI don't do to much they work well then tramdol for break through pain. tramadol didn't help much and was taking to many, so my gp has put mo on plexia which is another slow relase tablet take 250 mg in morning and another half in afternoon when required, have nearly stopped the tramdol hope this helps

jim

• Posted

Thanks for the response Jim. I'm on Palexia twice a day but still get breakthrough pain. I might have to ask my GP again if there is something else. I know he's against having to go up and up on meds which I can understand. Anyway thanks again for your response. 
    • Posted

hi jimmy I still get break though pain, not much more that doctors can do for me at the moment so have to put up with the pain. am hoping that there will be a better pain killer invented soon that wont have any side affects and will get rid of the pain altogether rather than just dulling it down to a constant ache. hopefully you can get on top of your pain without to much pain in the future

jim

• Posted

Fingers crossed. Thanks again for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.