Butrans on/ off two years for back pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all.  Just need some advice... have 3 herniated discs in my lower back, I've had epidurals and nerve blocks and due 10 facet joint injections in April. Inbetween all of this I've been on Butrans.  Started on 5mcg and for a long time I was in love with these things!  Had my life back. After a year went up to 10mcg and started to fee off, sulky, shaky and very sleepy.  Then had my nerve block and took off.  The block didn't really help so been back on 5mcg now for three weeks or so.  The thing is I feel so ill and dizzy.  It also makes my brain shake and all I want to do is sleep.  Why am  having this reaction?  I'm not new to it... just want to feel better 😔

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I was on fentalyn patches and the same as you at first they where brill, had no pain so felt like I had my life back (it was short lived) the pain came back suddenly so they upped the dose, within a few weeks I started to feel exactly how you've described but then couldn't sleep and started with anxiety, then one day I became so ill almost like an out of body experience so went to docs where apparently I was overdosing, he told me to go back down a dose but I was still ill so took the patch off not realising that I was about to go through withdrawals. This was my first experience with hard core pain meds and from this I learnt a lot, I research everything now good and bad because unless you put in withdrawals from the meds your about to take you will only get the good they do for you, I'm not wanting to scare you but just share my experience, everyone tolerates meds differently, if your concerned maybe ring the NHS helpline just to get some peace of mind, I wish you luck 😊

• Posted

Hiya

I just don't understand I'm on 5mcg again and considering been on/off for such a long time you would think this wouldn't happen. I slept for two hours today which is unheard of for me. I feel shakey and sick just don't know what to do as my pain is extreme and 5mcg just eases a little I'm still taking lots of painkillers so the fear of taking it off feels me with dread. How were you?

• Posted

I wander if your suffering withdrawals?

I would make an appointment tomorrow and speak with your doc, please let me know how you get on, take it easy if you can 😊

• Posted

Me again I ended up in a&me this evening... the pain unbearable.  They gave me a diazepam which didn't do much they then suggested I stayed overnight so I could have a morphine drip.  I declined.  Going go tomorrow and asking for another MRI and see what happens.  For tonight I've put a10mcg butrans patch so roll on side effects!

• Posted

Ah you must be suffering terrible, I hope they can sort you out and get to the cause of it.

Can I just ask when they took you off the 10mg after your nerve block how long was it before you went back on the 5mg?

Hope you've managed some sleep, let me know how you get on, take care 😊

• Posted

Hiya

2 weeks if that.

had an awful night...went go earlier she has prescribed naproxen, more Diazepam and patches.  Has also requested another MRI.  

How are you today?!

• Posted

That's great news, I hope you get some answeres, hope tonight is better for you.

Be careful with naproxen it's an anti-inflammatory and hopefully help but long term use can cause stomach problems.

Diazapam is a muscle relaxer and is really effective but again very addictive in a short period.

I'm not trying to scare you but just given you the heads up as I learnt the hard way.

Iv not had a good day either with back pain and nerve damage in my leg, hope you sleep well tonigh, take care 😊

• Posted

Hi

yes I think doc got worried when I mentioned how many nurofens been taking! Said naproxen would be better.  

What are you taking?  Don't you dream of just one pain free day or night? 😔

• Posted

You should maybe ask for imoprazole (spelling?)

It protects the stomach while on anti inflamitories.

Iv just recently tapered from 2 years of tapentadol/palexia, it's an opiod, was good for pain relief at first but like all meds we become tollorent. I'm currently taking Celebrex which is also an anti inflamitory, gabapentin for nerve pain, diazapam for muscle spasm, Iv been on quite a lot over the years but you get to the point where your in pain anyway but at least I have a brain that's sort of working Now I'm off the opioids .

And oh yes 1 day would be so nice, 14 years of torment but I'll keep on fighting, I hope you get sorted soon 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.