BuTrans Patches - side effects - thinking of stopping taking them

Posted , 43 users are following.

I've been on BuTrans patches for 12 months for pain relief for my hip.  I should have had a hip replacement on 30 July 2014 but had 4th heart attack on 16 July 2014 so obviously the operation was cancelled. (I fractured my hip 28 years ago in a horse riding accident and have managed without a replacement op till now - pain was really bad last year) I have been in hospital for the last week and was discharged yesterday -  I have lost almost 2st in weight over the last 12 months.  I am nauseous all the time have no appetite, I'm shakey and weak and dizzy.  I've been trying to carry on and get on with life but have had chest pains which is angina caused by the fact that I am so weak I'm forcing myself to get up and eat etc and my heart is struggling.  Hospital can't find out what is wrong with me - they have tried all sorts of tests including a body scan and more or less told me to get on with it - I have rehad Social worker calling daily to help me. Medication I'm on for my heart is Ivabradine to slow my heart down and Isosorbide to open my arteries, Clopideral and asprin to thin my blood and Ezetmebe instead of a statin.  Hopsital say heart medication should not give me the symptoms I'm getting so only other thing can be the patches.  Has anyone else had similar symptoms.  What will happen if I stop using the patches - I'm desparate I will try anything I hate feeling so ill I just want to have some fun.  I'm a young 68 and belong to loads of clubs and social activities - hospital want me to take anti-depressants but I'm not depressed and also concerned if I put more chemicals (tablets) in my systom, my body has also to get used to them too!  Feedback would be very gratefully received.  Thanks - Eunice

2 likes, 88 replies

88 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

BuTrans Patches - Reply from Drug Help line - PLEASE Take note of the comments below

To anyone that has been reading my query about BuTrans patches I contacted the Isle of Man drug help line where I live and this is the reply I received.

Response I received as below:

I am not a doctor but I will try and help as best I can.

I am hoping someone would have explained to you that Bu Trans patches are opiates that are used for severe pain. However they arn't effective over the longer term. And I say that from someone who has a chronic pain condition and has used those patches as well as morphine. Short term they're fine but long term not so much.

Any of the opiates affect so many parts of your body, particularly your appetite. You tend to eat less - so you lose weight, move less and it does seem to affect the mood too. It is a 'depressant' so not only does it slow down the brain and thus the body, it depresses your mood. I have put a link to Net Doctor at the end for you so you can have a look at all the side effects that may shed light on some of your symptoms such as dizziness and nausea that you may not have realised. When we are anxious we don't eat so much as the body has gone into 'fight ot flight' mode and depression too affects our appetite.

Anti depressants do work - but sometimes its getting the right one for you. They are not instant and can take a few weeks to lift the chemicals in your brain that make you feel better. They are also recognised as a way to help patients cope with pain better.

However, I would say, if you have had these patches on for more than a couple of weeks, don't just stop using them as your body may go into withdrawal - which is not nice (I've accidentally done that!) and I don't know how that stress on your body would affect your heart. Among other things it will increase your anxiety, nausea, vomitting, cause muscle spams which might increase pain in your hips. Check with your doctor first. If you have already taken it off - don't just put another on before speaking to your GP as you may end up taking too much by putting a new one on before you were due. If you have taken it off - ring your doctor for an emergency appointment today.

There are other pain alternatives that you may want to look up on line. Have they considered Pregabelin? I don't know if that can be used for heart patients but that is a nerve pain killer with anti-anxiety like properties. Duloxetine? Tramadol? cocodamol? Look them up and see whatyou think. Any opiate type pain killer such as those (Pregabelin & Duloxetine are not an opiate though) will cause degrees of what you are experiencing. And there are anti-sickness tablets I am sure you can get - again - check that with your doctor.

It's understandable that you would be having anxiety as you have been through a lot physically and mentally. You were a very active person from what you say and now you are having difficulty being that same person. When our lives change so much it is hard to suddenly change how we did things. Take more time, say 'no' to things, let people help etc.. It is possible both the events, your illness and the medication combined are causing your symptoms and I would hope you have someone you can talk to about that, it helps to reduce the anxiety. Keeping busy and distracted from pain helps reduce it but that's hard when you're not in aposition to get out of bed.

You won't be the same person you were - although people may expect you to be but you and your body have been through a huge trauma. You now have a long term serious heart condition, recovering from surgery and in pain. All those things affect us mentally and how we manage on a day to day basis.

Having grown up in Andreas I also know how isolating that is - although a good place to go for some nice short walks to get you back on your feet - people need to understand that they need to visit you not the other way around. For you to be independent I think it's good that you're postivlly striving for that by considering rehab or sheltered accomodation or somewhere someone is at least on hand should youneed help.

I don't know whether that was helpful or not but I would suggest you contact your doctor today to tell him you have removed the patch and ask is there any risk to your condition from any withdrawal. That is very important that you inform him.

• Posted

Hi Eunice, I know your post was a while ago now but I have been on this site recently due to trauma induced frozen shoulder and wrist injury to the point where my pain is so bad I can't cope.  I have just been prescribed the Bu Trans patches whilse asking for something that doesnt affect my stomach so much as the other tablets some of which you list here (IBS)  i always avoid chemicals if I can and try healthy alternatives to pain control etc  but I am in so much pain.  Found this link and now really concerned about putting the patch on after following some of the comments.  Have tried most alternatives and the side effects just add a layer of problems to the pain.I note you say it might be helpful for short term pain relief.  It is so difficult to know what to do but thank you for taking the time to tell everyone about these findings. 
    • Posted

greetings penny...im just comeing of thease patches,i feel that the 35mg butrans  sort of change you as a person,you dont realy realize it....untill after long term use (for me 2 and a hlf years) you stop them,i have been through hell,lots of side affects,and other issues.but as the days come and go,i do feel that slowley i am now finding myself...would i recomend.....everybodys different.....,what strength are they? maybe short term for you,but i am under the impression that short term...yes....but long term as my doctor says...then no,as you could find other issues start .i no for me,that since not haveing the patch on im finding me again....maybe give them a try,u may find that there just the ticket for you...i wish you well and hope ur day is a goodone
    • Posted

Hi Penny

I'm still connected to this forum so I do still read any messages I receive. I personally will never use an opiated pain killer again.  I'm still waiting for a hip replacement and really struggling to keep going - I'm only using paracetomol as pain relief - it helps but I am still in the most excrutiating pain - operation is imminent hopefully in the next few weeks.  I have lived thru some pain in my life but nothing as severe as this - but....... it's better than the way I was using the BuTrans patches and I was also taking co-codomol 15/500 x 2 3 times a day.  At first I was ok on them and they did give me pain relief but gradually they made me very ill.  I was only on 5mics which my body eventually got used to and this is when the problems started because my body was craving for more - hence all the side effects.  It was absolute purgatory - there is no way to describe the obnoxious emotional and physical effects I was suffering - maybe it's me - maybe I have a low tolerance - but whatever I would not recommend to anyone.  I have twice recently taken just 15mgs of codeine during the night to try and relieve the pain - omg have I suffered the following day.

It's your choice and I know how desparate it can be especially during the early hours of the morning when you want to sleep but the pain wont let you.  You have to weigh up the options.  Maybe co-codomol without the BuTrans?  I took co-codomol for over 10 years but I was taking more and more which is why I was prescribed BuTrans patches - which is when everything fell apart!

Hope you find the right answer.  Good luck. xx

• Posted

eunice that is an excellent response and you've been given some good advice. I'm glad he agreed with my comments about not stopping the patches without reducing them gradually.
  • Posted

dt tear eunice,i read your message from 3 months ago and am encouraged.i have been on 7.5 butrans for about a year. my life is shot.depressed,dont wanna even leave the house.my next hem i want off.i hope my life comes backdoctor visit is in 2 weeks and i am going to tell them i want off.i hope my life comes back,feel like a zombie.
    • Posted

Garland, how are you now? Your comments really got my attention because I could tell that you were in so much pain. Are you doing better? I hope so. Please let us know. Tori
  • Posted

Hi Garland

Go for it and good luck.  I've been off all opiates since 10 December 2014.  I suffered for 4 weeks and it was really hard to get over the withdrawal symptoms but it was so worth it. I'd rather put up with the pain than exist in the state I was in. There is light for me with regards to the pain as I'm just waiting for a date now to have a hip replacement - hopefully within the next 12-14 weeks I've been told. 

I went 'cold turkey' but I'm a very strong minded, stubborn and determined person.  I would suggest you speak to your doctor and gradually decrease your opiate medication otherwise you will get some terrible withdrawal symptoms.

Good luck - go get your mind and life back.

• Posted

greetings eunice.....i have been reading the forums,as like everbody else....trying to find the answers..and for me after reading all the replys,i truly feel that it is the butrans patch that is giveing me all my issues.....i am on 35mcg an hour....as 3 of my lower discs in my back have collapsed....painful!!..my surgeon will not operate as he says theres an 85percent chance that i will never walk again..so i have been perscribed thease patches,as well as other medication......i decided what...4days ago that i would stop takeing...reason....because long term use as i have been told by my doc, they can give serious constipation...which is what i have...very painful...a tear in my bum,as well as piles,so,so,sore....since i have stopped takeing this patch,the motions i am now passing have become more bearable...which sure is a good thing,but am also suffering....i feel like i dont want to go out,i am getting quite depressed,i shiver like a crazy man,my kneck is so achy,and my legs feel like they just dont want to take me anywhere...also my eyes are also quit dry,and im sneezing anything between 6-15 times in 1 sneezing session...also since i have just stopped takeing them,i just dont feel myself,im not me,i feel that me has just sort of gone,....not there,its not good...also i have now been weeing alot more than ever,maybe its down to thease patches,as i have read a few forums and see a few people that have stopped them now suffer more regular visits to the loo.maybe they are the cause,i  also suffer in the evening a horrible achy arm...headache,and at times sweat more than piglet under a heat lamp,makes for all a great nites sleep!!...yea right...will let you no how my cold turkey goes....so far i can honestly say ...its a real downer....day 5 tomorrow!
  • Posted

Hi Jason - it took me 22 days before I started to feel I was recovering from withdrawal. The first 7 days were similar to what you're experiencing. I'm now 4 months clear of using any opiates (patches and codeine) and I now feel normal and I'm enjoying a social life again. I'm in tremendous pain as I'm waiting for a hip replacement (hopefully I'll get a date in the next 8 weeks) but I'd rather manage the pain than the purgatory I was in with the opiates. I now control the pain with paracetamol - still have pain but it's bearable. I'm strong minded and determined (stubborn) and will not go back to opiates. I have given in twice and just taken 15mgs of codeine to relieve the pain and ended up the next day with the weird way-out undescribable agitation and panicky feelings which left me exhausted nauseous and constipated!  Maybe I'm super sensitive - I don't know - I only know I will not use again even if my leg is falling off. 

I went cold turkey as you have but I was not on as strong a med as you are. I'm not sure if gradually reducing would be easier for you as that would prolong the withdrawal time!  Have you contacted drug rehab people in your area - they will help you - you are a victim of prescribed drugs - all done legally and prescribed by your doctor - you should be getting help from the professionals. I found the help I got - albeit just talking to someone at the drug rehab - was invaluable.

well done on getting to day 5 you are almost out of the worst part - it will get better but you will continue to have bad spells but they do get less and less. I'm so glad I did it - I'm myself again and having some fun when I can

keep going - write to me if you need some support I'm only too happy to help you get thru. Good luck. XxE 

• Posted

Hello Eunice!

What does were you on, if you dont mind me asking on butrans, and how long had you been taking it? And so happy you feel much better after only 22 days!

I want to too smile so thought id ask so i can compare to my dos etc

• Posted

greetings once again eunice.....phew...what can i say....still of the patch,and at times feel like whats the point to it all,dont want to get out of bed....infact feel like i dont want to do anything...been struggeling...shivering,fever,sweating....and everything else that goes with it,not good......not good at all....but as like you strong minded,as i feel like if i wasunt,then for me....whats the point to it all.....so so need to ween myself of thease...one day at at time hey....things can only get better.....carnt they???  of course they will i keep saying to myself.....
  • Posted

Jason hang on in there things do get better - I'm ok now and never want to touch the stuff again.  Life is so sweet now.  Keep going one day at a time.  The sweats and panick attacks will subside, the nausea will stop as will the diarrhoea and you'll get your appetite back. I suffered from sneezing, blinding headaches and insomnia too - but that has all gone now. It wont happen overnight but you will get better - trust me. I found deep breathing exercises helped me and visualising sitting on a beach watching the waves lapping in - it took my mind off the pain and helped me to sleep - try it it might work for you - not the sort of thing I would normally do but my daughter talked me thru it trying to help me and it worked.  Hope you have someone close that can help you - I was lucky I have a wonderful daughter who was and still is very supportive - bit like role reversal!  Keep going - thinking about you and willing you to succeed.  Keep me posted on how you're doing. 
    • Posted

Hi again Eunice, so lovely to see how people in what are severe situations are trying to help one another - without sites like this I would have had no where to turn for some support ideas and advice.  So glad to hear you are feeling so much better off the Bu Trans -  my GP has not explained any weaning off issues or anything about the drug but I guess it is hard for them to know what to do too when you present in absolute agony.  I am pretty positive still at the moment and don't want to trigger a depression on top of the pain.    You must be due your hip op soon so I wish you all the best with that and there will be no stopping you!
    • Posted

greetings  eunice.....wow,feel like i have been hell and back,since removeing the 35mg butrans patch ,and feeling just so so not like me,as silly as it sounds i went through a stage of just hopeing i wouldunt wake up in the morning,there was i felt just no point to it,shivers,sneezing,feeling sick,constapation,dry eyes,head ache,legs that just felt so achey and tired,they realy didunt want to take me anywhere....i just felt so bad,it was horrible,is this what cold turkey is?..am sure it was...its amazeing realy that thease patches...once removed can make you feel that way......i am also on the understanding that long term use of thease can cause other problems with the human body,as i now think i am finding out..1 thing after another!,but one day at a time...for me now.......im slowley geting myself back together,no more Hallucinations,my legs are feeling better,its a slow thumbs up at the moment,but im getting there.....i realy dont ever want to put another on,at the moment im controlling the pain with baclofen,pregabalin and solpadol 30mg/500mg...onwards and upwards!! i so hope things are getting better for you....may good fortunes come ur way...i wish you well
    • Posted

Hi Jason

Good to hear from you and to hear you are getting there - well done - so pleased for you. Yep you've been thru 'cold turkey' -  and come out the other side - I hope life is getting better for you?

I'm doing ok - still waiting for an op date but hopefully I'll get that in the next few weeks.  Other than hip pain I'm doing ok - getting out and about as much as I can - meeting friends for lunch etc - life is much better without the opiates !!!!!!

Keep going - keep in touch. xx

• Posted

greetings eunice,i certainly wouldunt wish the withdrawal symptoms that im been suffering on anybody...so so glad im of them,certainly wouldunt want to go back on them.and sure feel im getting me back,how wonderful is that.so hope you get ur operation date through soon,and they sort you out...long term pain so not good,sending you strength and warm wishes and hope the pain is giveing you a break.i wish you well,may good fortunes come ur way.
    • Posted

Hi guys

just found this thread as a suggestion from the site,..  I read through the discussion and boy did i have some flashbacks of some prety rough times.  Even beter though was the expiriences you all have had.  Truelly going through some kind of hell to get your lives back and you continue to fight for your life and your determination is inspiring.  I have been down the opiate path too many times now and i still struggle with the pain and the meds.  I am only 32 but have had more then my fair share of medical misfortune starting at age 12.  I have since had 15 sugeries and now sit with two knees that are extremely painfull and need to be replaiced however due to my age will not be taken care of for another 10 years possibly.  Any way what I wanted to mention was how pain and depression can get the better of us and how sudenlyI found myself right back in that horrible purgatory with the choice of quality of life vs the short term withdrawel effects i was far too familar with.  I do want to mention the first time i stopped opiate pain medications i was in a sorry state.  I was 26 yrs old beyond morbidly obese, taking BP medication, antidepresants, gabapentin, anti anxiety meds, couldnt sleep without coming dangerously close to repritory failure, and after i got off the meds i had a Neurologist tell me i had brain damage likely from severe respritory depression.  I had comepletely given up on life and did not care if my eyes opened in the morning towards the end truelly thought it would be better if i did not wake up.  I thought my wife and son (who was only 10 months) would be better off if i wasnt there to hold them back.  I went from a true fighter, someone who has overcome tremendous obsticles (12 surgeries + an infection that paralized me from the chest down, i did regain most function but it took 2 years to jump rope again.)  I was one of the lucky ones many people who suffer Transverse Myelitis dont fully recover.  With in a year and a half of starting opiate pain management meds I had become a sickly, overweight, self loathing, world hating, spitefull, depressed, misserable person.  The meds worked well at first but soon needed constant increases in doses.  At the end i was taking 200 mg methadone per day according to my perscription.  Which is a phenominal amount but i also began abusing it taking up to 800mg per day. 

I notice addiction doesnt seam one of your guys's weeknesses but long term chronic pain can lead you right to that door.  Pain and depression can play such a huge role in how we feel.  Pain increases depression and deression increases pain a sick cycle that only goes down hill.  When introduced to opiates to treat pain I really thought it was the answer.  I felt so good, much less pain, and that kinda high feeling all the time i could do what i wanted and not worry about how much it would hurt later.  It did not last long before i needed to have an increase i would prob increase every couple months. The longer i was on it and higher doses caused me to slow down living.  Could not sleep but i was always tired.  Pain was present most of the time.  Gained 100 pounds in a year if that dont cause some fatigue I dont know what would.  My testosterone levels dropped to close to zero which has its own set of problems.  I was ashamed of what i had become so weak unless i over used.  It was a hell i was not going to last long in.  I could not see past my fear of pain or my fear of failure i was affraid of everything.  Kinda froze.  I finally had used up all my meds about 2 weeks early and was facing some seriouse withdrawel symptoms so i sought help through a treatment facility.  It was a tough detox even with some meds to help.  The first week or so there was no way i was going to accept that i just could not use opiates.  My head started to clear and I could see how horrible things had become over just a year and a half.  I came to my own realization of what i needed to do, and became very very determined to treat my pain without opiates.  I did amazingly.  My wife left me 2 months after I came home from treatment (which hurt like hell but I servived).  Over the following year i had dropped 125 pounds almost half my weight and felt great.   I made it 2 and a half years before i started having trouble with my "good knee" my left knee was hopeless since the age of 24 but i had thought my right knee was good but needed to have it scoped and found out it was far worse then i had thought. n There were pain meds with the surgery and for a time after, the meds coupled with a declining mood because of the dissapointing health news lead me back to using opiates and back into severe depression.  Dispite all the determination and the absolute idea I had when I got of the opiates my mind slowly worked its way back to that being the solution.  Depression and pain can drive a person crazy and I let it bring me down again.  I cought myself fairly quickly but the damage had been done.  It would take me a while to recover and get back to life with limited pain control. 

I am sorry if no one can relate to my story because i became an addict.  I still think my expirience could be valuable to someone who has a long road ahead dealing with chronic pain and possibly other health conditions.  I just wanted you illistrate how strong pain and depression can be how they can strip away a persons will and their identity by taking away the life someone knows it isolates too.  All prime conditions for the opiate "HERO" to step in.  At first it seams great you can do more and be more comfortable and your mood seams better until you get used to them and then it just doesnt feel quite right, you become irritable and moody and pain becomes unpredictable until the Doc gives you a little more.  Things improve shortly and there you are again discontent and barely getting by.  I wanted to share my expirience because it may be similar to what some of you may have to face.  I never did any kind of recreational drug or even drank much, but I became a full blown drug addict through completely legal and lagitamate prescriptions.  By the time i knew it the damage had been done.  I was so certain that I would never open the door to opiates again.  I was so sure of what i needed to consider every day as i deal with pain and strugles that I got a tatoo on my forarm that says addict as a reminder of just how important it is for me to stay way from narcotics.  Constant pain and depression can weeken ones resolve it can make you forget truths and things that seamed so glaringly clear.  ( i am sure addiction had a hand in me going back to the meds but I think not treating my pain and my depression opened the door for me to revisit the same hell i never wanted to be in again)

I really hope I did not bother anyone because my story is also about addiction.  I really feel that most people who have chronic pain are going to face the question of am I addicted at some point or they are going so find themselves in the hell of side effects and will face detox and all its unpleasant characteristics.  Maybe some one has read these stories and feel they are different because they couldnt go cold turkey.  It is a tough decisian even with out having to have to pay for it by getting terribly sick for anywhere from 7 days to 2 months.

I am writting this to everyone who has shared in this discussion and any one who stumbles upon this at any time in the future.  No matter how hard today is things can and will get better.  There are so many people who can help through this site.  You may feel like the only one but you are not.  Others can help.  Share with someone.  Please,,Set aside your pride, your fear, your shame.  This site has helped me so so much just in the past couple months.

Thank you eveyone for listening and sharing

Sincerely RJ

• Posted

greetings rjatwork345.....it was a question id asked myself many times......am i addicted,or have i become addicted to the butrans patches...at 1st it was a no,but as time went on i began to think that i was,i so just wanted me back,as i felt that over time on them,i was some what beginning to mis the old me.i feel that i sure paid the (cold turky) price for stopping them.......and as each day comes and goes i feel alittle better,though at times,a slow process it feels it is.i certainly wouldunt want to go back on them,i for now try and controll the pain with the tablets,they get me by...many thanks for your post,i wish you all the best in the future.
    • Posted

Wow! You have been through a lot.

Write a book! I would buy it smile Seriously your story is sad and inspirational, but has a lot of meaning that I am sure would help many people.

I have only been on these patches for a couple of months but I stoped them 3 days ago and I am suffering, but onwards and upwards. I think I am an addictive person so best I stop them now.

Good luck RJ xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.