Butrans plus oramorph and still in pain!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have several long-term health conditions and have been struggling with pain relief. Recently, whilst in hospital, the senior pharmacist put me on Butrans5 weekly patches, plus Oramorph and Paracetamol for breakthrough pain. He said it was "a clean and effective delivery of pain relief."

I was delighted to be given stronger meds, and expected to be virtually pain free with such a powerful combination. Why am I still in pain and unable to get a full night's sleep?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That sounds nasty, how much Butrans and Oramorph are you taking? Oramorph is normally enough to calm the mightiest of pain.
    • Posted

Hi, I take 5ml of Oramorph 2-3 times per day. I am allowed upto 4x daily. Cr
    • Posted

Obviously I know nothing of your condition but that sounds like the right sort of amount to give relief from most things. It might well be worth having a further chat with your Doctor - took me quite a few weeks to get the dosage right when I broke my back and we had to increase it a couple of times before I felt any improvement.

As Peter says below there are other tricks - my Doctor is a big fan of Gabapentin and Amitriptiline as additional helpers.

• Posted

I cannot help you but can relate to your prroblem. I've had my spine operated on three times but am still in pain had the Morphene patches, still no real relief, I'm now getting some relief thanks to my GP offering Citalapram which act on the nerves by blocking the signals to the brain, at least that is how it was decribed to me. Hope this helps, might be worth a chat with your GP...
  • Posted

Hello smcg3182,

I don't think 'pain free'  can ever be realised,  it is just a case of bringing the pain level down to a liveable with level.  Exercise, gentle walking is good,  the fresh air helps to keep the circulation going and just getting out serves as a distraction. Pain will be your constant companionon on your walks but hopefully your muscles will get tired and thus help you get a better nights sleep.  When you can't sleep try getting up instead of tossing and turning round thebed and getting cross/ irritable with yourself,  sometimes just a bit of pottering about can help your muscles get less tense, change the position they were in and ease joints. 

I use patches and Oramorph, mine are the 72 hour ones though - well supposed to be 72 hours lol, they don't last that long.  Are you able to increase the size of the dose in the patches you use or are you still trying to get to a dose size that works?

Please try not to be disheartned and instead 'accept'  that you are not going to be 100% pain free,  aim for comfortable as a compromise and try distraction to help you relax.

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your support. I made an error.... I am on Butrans 10 patches, not 5's. Ian due spinal surgery in 2 weeks and hope to be able to cope better after that.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your support. I made an error.... I am on Butrans 10 patches, not 5's. Ian due spinal surgery in 2 weeks and hope to be able to cope better after that.
  • Posted

smcg3182, I understand that your pain levels are of hi tolerance. That's my problem too. I'm a thin woman that takes 100 mg opiates and 120 mg per day and I'm still having pain. And most people say I'm taking enough to kill a horse. But I have been on this for over 5 years. If this mixture that you are taking works for you then by all means spare yourself pain. What I don't like is how people judge you when you're getting your perscriptions filled. Like you are taking these medications for pleasure which I don't see how a person could enjoy taken these drugs for the he'll of it. Good luck with your scripts. tina18497.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.