Butrans tramadol co-codamol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on tramadol and co-codamol for years. After complications got put on butrans patches instead of tramadol. After6 months the patches started to burn my skin so dr took me totally off patches. With increasin co-codamol to 8 a day and diazepam at night time. Now week 2 of withdrawal from butrans. Main problem is irratiable/aching body. Really suprised dr took me straight off them. Anyone else been in similar situation pls? How long does this last? Dr thinks I should be fine now... seriously she should try being in my shoes.... one of the hardest things Ive had to do.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your doc should never have done that, go back and see another doc, explain what's happened and hopefully they'll put you on a proper taper plan, use of co codamol and diazapam needs to be controlled before you end up having problems with both, diazapam is extremely addictive and I have went through withdrawals from them and it's awful, different withdrawals to opioids, sent me mental for a while. 

You could try magnesium supplements and warm baths with essential oils, lavender being really good😊

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I agree with Caroline. I am detoxing from fentanyl 125mg every 48hours and am doing it tapered as it was too much to just stop. I am suprised you doc has just stopped you without tapering as any opioid withdrawal cold turkey is awful. I know how bad it is with tapering so cold turkey had to be worse. Best to speak to them about doing it slowly. It will draw out the withdrawal symptoms but they will not be as intense. I am now almost down to 25mg it has taken me 5 months if tapering but I am only using my normal daily other drugs to help me through. I always say you have to keep sight of why you are doing it and that will help you get through it. You will want to give up and reach for another one or something to help you I know I have but I have resisted even after unpacking then and almost putting them on. There is not much info I am give you to help other than if you get RLS then I have found tensing your muscle groups from toes to hamstrings for 10-15 seconds each then releasing and moving to the next group helps. Also distraction like reading a book and watching a tv programme that takes your mind away for a while helps. With the cold feeling and aches I am having to constantly put clothes on and then take them off due to going cold-hot constantly but that also helps a bit. Crossing over your ankles while tensing muscle groups also helps me.

Whatever you decide to do always try and keep sight of why your doing it. It will get worse but then easier as you get used to it. I am in full blown withdrawal since I dropped from 50mg to 37mg that point seemed to trigger it more for me and it is very unpleasant but doable you just have to keep focus on why.

One other thing I found to help with the aches is heat. Any form ie bath, shower or muscle rubs etc for the worst aches helps. This one sounds weird but when you get really cold instead of using heat I tried deep freeze and that helped me more than heat. God only why but it did.

I too have diazipam and tamazipam to help me sleep at night and they are addictive I can’t sleep without them now so will have to detox them too at some point.

I feel for you in what your going through and hope you get through it ok.

The forums have helped me I only started using them a week ago but it’s nice to know there are people in the same position as you and they understand what your going through. If I can help in any way Im here.

Good luck to you!!!

Andy

Good luck to you!!!

• Posted

Where did you place the patches.... I normally put mine under my best as it is better there when i shower for obvious reasons  lol  but now and again when that part of the body needs a rest I place them at the top of my legs.. I have only had one occasion when i had a small couple of burns but i think it was caused by the larger patch which goes on over the  butrans which are for me being able to swim or take a long hot soak.  

Saying all this though,  your doctor should never have taken you straight off these patches like cold turkey.  

Can I ask what level of patch you were on..   I am on 20 mmg per hour and have been on them (working my way up to the level i need for around 5 years now.  I have to say, they have really helped the pains in my legs hip and feet.  When the weather is bad though I still suffer but not so much as I used to.

• Posted

Sorry meant "bust" as you no doubt worked out for yourself LOL

• Posted

Thank you so much for your replies. Now on week 3. Doing ok I suppose. If it wasnt for the increase in co-codamol and diazepam think it would have been alot worse. To be off tramadol and now nearly the patches is a big bonus for me. Just put a new prescription for diazepam. Really worried dr will refuse as she said its short term which i understand but without it I still think im going thru the withdrawal of patches. I was on the smallest dosage of patches. I put on arms and shoulders as per instructions. Changing the location each week. But after a while they just started irritating me. Then after 2 days they would burn my skin. It was awful. I know the next step will be coming off diazepam at night but im still not sleeping all thru the night anyway with them Irritable legs at daft o'clock in the night so end up taking another 2 co-codamol and reading my book until it kicks in. Coming off co-codamol is going to be so much worse as have been taking them since 2014 after serious operation with my eye. Im hoping dr dont think i can just come off those too. Ive asked to get referred to pain clinic. But she says lets wait until your off the patches. No family/friends get what im going thru. No one says to me daily, how are you feeling today... so upsetting no one gets it. Every day is a new rollercoaster that i dont want to be on. Appreciate all your support and messages.

• Posted

You need to ask your doc for an alternative to  diazapam to help you through the withdrawals, gabapentin helped as I can only tell you diazapam is hell to get off and it only takes weeks to be addicted, please go back and ask for more help to taper and she should refer you NOW to pain management they will help you more😊

• Posted

I'm so sorry you feel you have no one to support you, is there no one in your family you can sit with and explain everything your going through, if not then we are here to help you through as best we can, I know it's not the same as having family but you can lean on us anytime😊

• Posted

Sarah.

Hi I understand what your going trough and just wanted to say that the forums have been a haven for me. I hadn’t got very much support at home and I turned to the forums and the people on her have been through it or image going through it. They have been helping me so much it’s been a godsend go talk to people who actually get and understand the situation which many others who haven’t been there don’t.

I am detoxing fentanyl and have really struggled recently but still going. I am also on diazipam to help with muscle seizures and spasm have a new script every 8/9 days but I only take them at night to help my body relax enough to try to sleep. From your story you have already come such a long way and done really well so just keep focus and lean on the forums for help anytime you need to. Personally as I said the people have helped me so much and without their help I may have slipped and quit but I am still in target to be free of fentanyl 3 weeks before Xmas. I know my worst is still to come and already feel really bad but have to focus on the light at the end and why your doing it, it will get you through.

Good luck to you and if I can help in any way message me or post I’ll do my best to help.

Andy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.