Buttock pain following Sacrospinous Fixation & Rectoenrocele repair.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had my surgery on Tues morning and all went well. Had a Cauda block which worked very well, so I had no pain at all until almost 19 hours post op.Then the pain started in the right buttock, which is quite bad, so it's very difficult to find a comfortable sitting position. Have only got paracetamol and Ibuprofen for pain relief which help a bit but wondered how long this pain is likely to go on for ? I came home yesterday lunchtime and otherwise feel okay though was a bit tearful today. Am just relieved it's all over !

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello ros. I'm pleased your operation is over. The pain you describe is normal and most of it is caused by the position you were put in for your operation. Your legs are put in lithotomy poles so that puts pressure on your back and buttocks. You will also feel tightness in your buttocks and around the area between your vagina and anus. This is because of the pulling and pushing during surgery and the tightness of the sutures. Ibuprofen and paracetamol taken together is effective but you may need something a bit stronger because the tightness doesn't clear up for some time.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron. That certainly makes a lot of sense ! I was keen to avoid any constipation issues, which some stronger painkillers can aggravate, so discussed this with the the anaethesistbeforehand and it seems to have paid off as have been okay helped by taking lactulose twice a day.....

The pain does seem a little better this morning, maybe because I'm still in bed X

• Posted

Resting is so important ros so don't feel guilty for doing absolutely nothing particularly in the first 2-3 weeks because you'll feel the benefit in the future.
    • Posted

So grateful for your advice and this forum. I will definitely be resting...... I'm lucky that my hubby was a single Dad before we got together, so he was used to running the house. Also he's a trained chef in a former life, so his cooking skills are great too! I don't want to risk doing anything to jeopardise my recovery, as have been waiting a long time for this 2nd op, because last year's attempt was such a disaster 😊
    • Posted

You have a lovely husband ros and well trained too! You have absolutely the right attitude anyway because I can't stress enough just how important rest is even if you are feeling well and pain free. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Thank you I will ..enjoy your weekend 😀
  • Posted

It may have been due to the positioning they do of your leg and hip during the operation. I had a similar experience and, because I was awake during the whole thing, noticed my leg was bent backwards, which I'd never be able to do myself! My hip and right pelvis was really sore for a few days but is gradually getting better.
    • Posted

Yes possibly, although my Consultant told me before that this can happen with this particular operation. I assumed it is because they put 2 stitches in the right side of the pelvis into the Sacrospinous ligament. He said it can last for a few weeks. I am finding it quite wearing though, as it doesn't go away completely,even with painkillers, unless I'm positioned on my side in bed Sitting on the setee can only be tolerated for shorter periods. Otherwise apart from the tiredness I feel great.😁 I guess in some ways, at least it reminds me to take it easy and rest !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.