Buttock pain - sacrospinious fixation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello... I had sacrospinious fixation, posterior repair and enterocoele repair 8 days ago. I've read all the posts about buttock pain. Nobody told me how bad this would be .. like others on here I can only get relief lying down. The pain when standing or sitting is off the scale and when going to the toilet the worst; hot knives. Inside I feel a bearing down feeling, which I didn't have before the surgery. I can cope with the soreness but not this buttock pain. I've been given ibuprofen and paracetamol. It seems barbaric that I have to endure this pain. Is it really going to last 6 weeks? Not sure I can cope with that. Can anyone suggest better pain meds? I'm taking laxative but I can't push at all and the times I have been on the toilet but nothing comes out is simply frustrating. I'm anxious something is wrong inside too. Never had the bearing down feeling before. Also burning inside. I really wish I hadn't had it done but consultant said it was the worst prolapse he'd seen in a woman of 51 ... he never told me about buttock pain. Please someone tell me it does get less intense as the days go on. I'm a strong healthy woman with a good sex drive and I'm now worried that sex will be rubbish in the future. Any tips to reduce pain would be appreciated. My best friend, apart from my mum, who is doing so much for me , is my hot water bottle, such relief. I was taking cocodamol to start with but told to come off it.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I found ice is to be more helpful than heat.  Glycerin suppositories help for going to the bathroom, along with all the other things I expect you are taking to keep things easy to pass.  Laying down pretty much all the time is normal as you are only 8 days in.  My doctor said just to rest the first two weeks.  I needed longer, but just saying it is normal.

what doesn't sound quite normal is how much pain you are in.  I had some nerve pain, and I know others did as well, but if it is that bad I think you need to talk to your doctor about pain relief.

• Posted

Hi and thank you so much for replying and for the suggestions. I too am surprised about the pain. I am usually fine with pain. 20 years ago I had an ectopic pregnancy that was near to bursting and the doctor couldn't believe I wasn't feeling it more, so yes, it does seem strange. I'll definitely try ice packs.

• Posted

Hi, so sorry you are in so much pain!. I am 7 weeks out from surgery. I had hysterectomy, rectocel, fron vaginal repair and the vaginal fixation like you. At 3 weeks is when the buttock pain started. I couldn't sit directly on my bottom. The pain was crazy, like brought tears to my eyes! I was miserable. Went back to my doctor and she said this is when most of the healing is happening, and the ligament pain is common. She told me to take advil and use ice, she also gave me valium to insert vaginally to help with the muscles and Gabapentin. I am in the US. I am happy to say around week 6 it did get better, and week 7 no pain at all! But when it was hurting it was like charlie horse pain that lasted for hours!!

As far as going to the bathroom.... i take stool softners daily, morning and night. I also watched a youtube video about a lady who specializes in pelvic floor issues. She talked about the squatty potty, (helps a lot), and how to push without really pushing. So start off by saying Mmmm, like you are humming, then add Ooo, so you end up saying MOOO, like a cow. It works!! I also read, if you sit to go, only give yourself 2 minutes for it. If nothing happens in 2 minutes get up and walk around. This keeps you from bearing down too much to have a BM. I did this a lot especially at first. Everything is sooo tender.

With all that said, I would reach out to your doctor since you are so uncomfortable. For me it got worse around the time you are in now. The relief started around 5 weeks, now at 7 weeks I feel like my old self. But still mindful of my limitations. Keep us posted! And remember to only rest, that is your only job right now!

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. What a great forum this is. People keep saying " are you feeling a bit better" and expecting me to say " yes" but it's not an incremental healing process from what I can see, where you improve a little each day. It seems it's more like endure for approx 6 weeks and then I'll suddenly notice. I totally get the 2 minute toilet thing and there will definitely be cow noises emanating from my bathroom. I lost 2 1/2 stone before this surgery and got so fit. I have no fat on my buttocks and wonder if my weight loss has 'back fired' (excuse the pun!)

• Posted

Hi Cazinbed, I m sorry to hear that you are being so miserable. I think many woman regret of having this op done because of the pain but it's going to be for some weeks, not forever, so try to call your doctor and ask for stronger medics. I was given tramadol.

Did you have the rectum attached to your bone to lift it?

About sex, I had anterior and posterior repair and sex is greater after the op, don't worry for that. Focus on resting and give a call today to your doc, or go to the nearest hospital to get stronger medicines.

Hugs!!!!

• Posted

Hello and thank you so much for replying.

To be honest I'm not sure about the rectum .. I know it was making my vagina bulge. My post op letter says Capio device secured cervix to the sacrospinious ligament with a permanent suture. I am definitely going to ask for stronger pain relief. This is zapping my essence and making me down and that's just not me. I'm starting to be scared of eating as although I love my food I know it's going to lead to pain on the toilet. Thank you for mentioning the sex side of things. I didn't experience problems with that before other occasional than bleeding after sex. I do have to question why I had this done!

• Posted

Ho caz, i was prescribed co-codomol and tramadol after my op last november. I am one of the very lucky ones as i had what you had plus perennial reconstruction but didnt have that much pain. The buttock pain was the worst though and i felt laying on my side was the best way to ease it. I think after about 6 days i didnt need any pain killers at all. Hold in there and ask your gp for stronger pills. I had my 6 month post op check last week and the op was a complete success anx i have been signed off 😀.

Take care brie

• Posted

Hello- thank you so much for replying. It's good to know that there will have been a point to all if this and that fingers crossed it will be successful for me too.

• Posted

My friend had the fixation suture and I remember she said it felt like she had been kicked by a horse in there. Codcomol would have been stopped as the codeine can quickly lead to constipation. Hope you can get relief soon. I think a hot pack would be better than ice.
    • Posted

Thank you Robyn. It's strange that I can take comfort in listening about other people's pain, but it's reassuring to hear as it means I'm not imagining it or being melodramatic.

• Posted

No you're certainly not imaging it or a sook. Hopefully you had a good Urogynaecologist do your repair. You can make it through this pain and come out good at the other end. Tramadol is wonderful but lots of people can't tolerate it. If you can though, it's brilliant. It's synthetic morphine. Have you had it before?

• Posted

Hi, I had SSF and rectocele repair 3 weeks ago tomorrow, Mon. I've had some buttock pain too but find if I lie down as mch as possible and not do anything which puts a strain on pelvic floor muscles I feel much better. My urogynae said I would have buttock pain but too bad and not too long! I find if I need a BM the down pressure is really bad so I rest a bit if I can't go immediately, then walk around and try again. The first week was the worst for me too. I've been eating porridge to keep stools soft plus natural live yogurt and fruit. I've not used any meds since the first week to manage BM's. I make the porridge not too thick, not runny, just like mama bear! lol razz  The first 6 weeks are supposed to be the worst so take heart, it will get better. Had a bad day today mind, I think it's been so hot and humid I feel worn out with that too. I used a hot water bottle too until the weather changed this week, makes me too hot in bed now so managing without one. Take care and keep posting, we're all hear to listen and help if we can. Poll X rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Poll,

Thank you for replying. I so identify with the toilet scenario. The amount of times I've sat on the toilet, then gone back to lie down without doing anything is crazy! Is the buttock pain easing off or just as bad? I'm eating Ready Brek in the morning and having yoghurt but am taking Movicol for the constipation too. Are you taking pain meds? On Tuesday I'm thinking of calling the doctor to see if there is something stronger than para and Ibu that I can take.

Today I think I overdid it as I sat on my sofa for a few hours. I am finding it hard staying in bed and I've done a few silly things without thinking , like lifting 6 waters in a pack. It's easy to forget. Tomorrow I'm going to be lazy and just rest in bed.

• Posted

Hi Cazinbed. The buttock pain is improving most of the time but I can't sit for long either as this seems to put pressure on the buttocks/ligament which was used to stitch the vault to plus pelvic region. I'm prescribed Tramadol and Paracetamol for osteoarthritis pain so I'm taking these as usual, it helps with the surgery pain too. As I said before, the first week was the worst and now at week 3 and improving daily if I take care not to do things which cause more pain. You will find out what these are if and when it happens. Lifting anything heavier than a kettle with just enough water to make coffee/tea is your weight limit. Carry on with the ready brek or similar and eat yogurt, fruit and as much veg as you can tolerate per day. You will improve daily if you can keep your bowel movements going! This is one of the things we do have to watch out for as constipation is not good for your repairs. Movicol, lactulose etc are ok if you need them but ask your GP about these too when you see them about pain control. The thinking now is that if the pain is controlled we recover much faster so don't suffer in silence. Call the gynae clinic for advice if you can't get help from your own doctors. (UK)! I'm still being lazy too, living off Sains ready meals as I was advised not to stand cooking either! (For a month). They're very good and lots of variety, I add a few veggies to them. Take care, Pollinbed! lol razz

• Posted

You've put a smile back on my face as it seems there will be little improvements each day 😁😁

I so hope I've not done damage by lifting a few things I shouldn't have. I'm sure it's ok. I'm actually not too bad today but haven't yet used the toilet yet despite my trusty Ready Brek 😵

I've become a Twitter user and am spending a ridiculous amount of time tweeting about stuff, like politics ha ha ... but it's keeping me occupied.

Have a comfortable day ! Carol 🦄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.