Buttock twitching 11 days post discectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I had a l5/S1 & L4/L5 discectomy on 30th July for terrible sciatica in my left leg. Things are much better, still getting some leg pain tho. Yesterday & today, I'm getting twitching in my right buttock..so my good side.! It's quite vigorous at times. I get it when I'm sat down, and standing. Should I be concerned? Thankyou.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if you get twitching because the sciatic nerve is probably reacting to decompression surgery and it takes some time before it wakes up from being squeezed for so long. Its normal to have some muscle contractions after spinal surgery, just dont over do things so your muscles get all locked up.

• Posted

Thankyou for replying. That makes sense. I'm trying not to over do things, as it's still early days.

• Posted

Hi I’m contemplating surgery I’m soooo afraid.

Will I need someone to help me?

How long is the recovery period?

What brought you to do the surgery ?’

I’m sorry for asking all these questions but I’m so sad and scared right now I don’t know what to do.

• Posted

Hi genieBo

Why are you contemplating surgery hun? Is yours sciatic pain aswell?

This was a revision surgery for me.. I had the same surgery done 18 months ago on my L5/S1. Unfortunately it re herniated very soon after. We tried physio and spinal injections, but nothing helped. Gradually the pain increased. Then about 5 months ago, it intensified, and finally in June, after an MRI scan, it showed that the L4/L5 was out aswell, squashing the nerve. So my surgeon had no choice but to go back in and sort the 2 discs out. It was so bad, I couldn't stand let alone walk.! The pain was horrendous.!

You will need someone with you, I would say for about 5/7 days once you are home. You are not allowed to bend, twist, reach or lift anything heavier than a kettle, for 4-6 weeks. I can now dress myself, 16 days on, but I am very tired after a shower etc. The longer you can have help, the better for you, and the lower risk of it re herniating.!!

Recovery first time around, was 6-12 weeks, depending on the job you have. This time they've told me at least 8 weeks off! Seeing my surgeon in 4 weeks (6 weeks post op).

I would definately recommend the operation if it's for sciatica pain. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.