Button Turp Vs Holep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Trying to decide between these two procedures to decrease an enlarged prostate from bph. I also have bladder stones that need to be removed. 

I understand there are significantly less Holep procedures than Button Turps. 

Is the need for another procedure really lower with Holep compared with BT?

I appreciate any information. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Phil,  I think the holep, might be the way to go.  I am 69 years old, and had one greenlight laser and two turps with in around 14 to 15 years.  The prostate keeps growing, in my case, and so I keep having to get surgeries.  I also had bladder stones, which is easy to remove with a laser.  In and out, one day procedure, in my case. I remember the urologist, told me that when the bladder doesn't empty out completely, that you may form bladder stones. I guess the urine gets so concentrated that stones start to form.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

I need to find out the average re-op rates for BT vs Holep. If there’s not much difference maybe it doesn’t matter. And choosing the one that has the least potential problems post op and shortest recovery makes more sense. 

I believe Green Light is not the way to go due to a more frequent re-op rate. 

• Posted

There are many discussions about these procedures on this forum.  Try the search function.  My comments below are based on what I've read on this forum and other places on the internet.  I have no medical training so won't guarantee everything I write is absolutely correct.

As I understand it, Holep removes much more prostate material than most of the other TURP-like procedures which is why its durability is better.  However, everyone's prostate grows at different rates so for many, other TURP-style procedures are "one and done."  Holep also has a longer learning curve which I believe is why it has fewer practitioners than TURP.  Holep is also suitable for very large prostates.

Button TURP is said to be easier on the patient than the standard TURP.  It is by definition, bipolar which allows the irrigation fluid to be saline (another advantage over monopolar TURP.)  There is at least one gentlemen here who had a button TURP and had a very good experience with virtually no pain or painful urination afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.