buying clothes for perthes children?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. My 5 year old nephew has perthes and will be getting plaster casts on in a couple of weeks.

i am going to be altering his clothes such as jogging bottoms, pants and shorts for the summer.

i struggled to find anywhere that would sell these altered clothes.

It would be easy enough to add velcro to the inside leg of trousers.

I was wandering if i could perhaps use this opportunity to not only help other children with perthes, have fun with my nephew making these for kids but also perhaps start a business.

if there was a website that sold custom clothing for kids with perthes plaster casts on, would you shop on the website?

Is this a good idea?

Thoughts please. . . . . . . .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

just wondered how your nephew is doing, my son is 4 and a half and was diagnosed with perthes just last week. This was a massive shock to me and his dad, I was convinced he had a pulled muscle! .

I am just wondering why they decided to put a cast on your nephew and has this worked? 

• Posted

Hey there Yvonne, my name's Michael and I've been suffering from perthes since I was 7. I can tell you right now that it would not sell seeing as most parents modify the clothes themselves (such as my mother), that being said...I think it's great to see you so determined in helping kids to enjoy themselves! I could only wish that there were more people like you smile.
  • Posted

Hi Iorna, it was also a shock to my parents as it seemed to be plain old cramp for the first week. They normally place the cast on in order to allow the affected bone to rest in the best position and to reduce the weight that the leg has to endure (as the early stages are crucial to the development of Perthes). 
    • Posted

Hi know you r going through my daughter was diagnosed nearly 30 years ago pnly 3at the time it was heartbreaking to see her go through having weights attached to her legs sothe ball in the joint wwould seperate and die then being placedinto a frog type cast for four years so it could regrow but she never complained and the best day of her life was when she learned to walk again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.