BV and Me

Posted , 2 users are following.

My name is B, and I'm 22 years old. I have a Mirena IUD - inserted over a year ago, and have not had a change in sexual partners in nearly 2 years, and we CHOOSE not to use condoms because I get yeast infections from them.

Some important notes before I go into detail about this:

1. Everyone's vagina is different. Some ladies have discharge, others don't. And - your discharge has a fragrance to it. It's plain and simple. Nothing to be ashamed of.

2. Do not be ashamed to talk about this. There's nothing to be ashamed of. You're not dirty for having an infection.. it's simply an imbalance of pH.

I first noticed something was off when I was producing more discharge than normal. It was thin, grey, and was a little fishy. This sometimes happens after my boyfriend and I have sex - semen will throw off your pH. So, I assumed nothing and continued life as normal. The next few days, my personal fragrance was getting worse. And it wasn't normal scent - it honest to God smelled like Rotting Meat. Now, I started to get concerned. So, out of habit, I began to search my symptoms - grey discharge, gross smell. Although I did not have all of the symptoms of BV, I felt strong about my personal diagnosis.

With my personal diagnosis, I headed to my local health care centre, and saw a health nurse. They asked me about my symptoms, and because I was so sure of my self diagnosis - they prescribed me Metronidazole (Flagyl) orally twice a day for 7 consecutive days.

I received my results 2 days later - and I was right. I had tested positive for BV. Now, I took all of my medication with food, and had no side effects. All of my symptoms were gone after 7 days, and I was finally feeling myself.

I had sex with my boyfriend, and what would you know. My familiar friend was back, not even 72 hours later. Now. Some may argue that my BV was never truely cured. Which  - honestly, could be a possibility.

But here's some things I read into AFTER I had finished my prescription:

- you should ALWAYS take probiotics while taking antibiotics. Your antibiotics will kill all the bad bacteria, however, you need to take probiotics in order to replenish the good bacteria.

- change your soap. Laundry soap, body soap! Use unscented (I prefer Dove) soap to cleanse your private areas. Do not use a Scrubby or Loofa!! They can hold bacteria. So if you've used a scrubby or loofa previously.. please throw it out. 

- wash your bedding. ALL OF IT.

- clean all sex toys with antibacterial soap.

Now. I did all this, and then decided it was time to go back to the healthcare centre. They once again tested me, and I waited 3 days for results. They have prescribed Clyndamyacin (unsure of dosage and time period yet, but will update).

Now, I was taking 2 probiotics a day at this point. I also looked at home remedies. 

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART:

I wanted to get rid of my BV on my own.

I had read so many articles on how to fight off my BV and actually bought a book about it. 

Women swear by this treatment. So, I've kinda mixed everything together from my research.

1. Take probiotics twice a day. The one I have chose is for women's health, and also has Cranberry extract in it. This helps to ward UTI's and other feminine infections. It has 5 million healthy bacteria in each capsule.

2. Change your underwear twice a day. This seems un-necessary, but it just makes sense. Once you have infected discharge in your panties, why keep wearing them? You're just asking for the infection to re-enter your body. Clean all undies in antibacterial soap.

3. You're going to think I'm crazy for this. But please - trust me.

- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide

-1/2 cup DISTILLED water (NOT TAP WATER)*** this is optional.

With clean hands, put a tampon and application into the peroxide, let it absorb for a few minutes. Then, insert the tampon as far into your vagina as comfortable. Remove after 1-3 hours. Do this once a day for at least 3 days, up to 7. On the last day that you do the hydrogen peroxide, remove your tampon, and then use 1/2 cup Apple cider vinegar. Repeat the process for another 1-3 hours.

You can add distilled water to this mixture as well - if you're concerned it may irritate you further.

I am on day 2 of the hydrogen peroxide mixture, and am on day 5 of my probiotics. I have not used my Clindamyacin prescription yet.

I have had no scent issues, and no itching or burning. I think this might be working ladies. It definitely relieves my symptoms.

I will be using my Clindamyacin prescription once I have completed my home remedy. But I want to see if this actually kills BV on it's own.

Once I do start my prescription - I will be taking probiotics twice a day. 

I am also making an appointment with my doctor to have my IUD string trimmed. This could be why I am getting infections (even the yeast infections from condom use).

I will update you once I know for sure this is working. But for the first time in almost a month - I feel relief. Please feel free to message me or comment on this forum, and I will try to get back to you.

Best of luck to all of you ladies out there struggling,

B.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I read somewhere tht hydrogen peroxide kills lactobicilli...so it’s killing good and bad bacteria. Vinegar doesn’t kill lactobicilli. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.