BV and the pill

Posted , 13 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Have asked this question before...got no responses.  Is anyone taking birth control pills to try to lessen the length of periods to help with BV?   I am having very heavy periods/ lengthy ones and wondering if I should try birth control to see if that helps.  I am 45 and would only go on the pill as to try to help with the BV...thanks for listening : ) 

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there Collette, taking the pill is not a solution to bv in my opinion. The pill is not good for you anyway and bv is not caused by periods. It is more effective to take probiotics as your bacteria in your gut is more than likely imbalanced. You may have to take them for a while to get it back in balance and your diet should also be a healthy one. A lot of these problems happen due to antibiotic use, high sugar diets etc. But the pill in my opinion is not a good option if an option at all. Hope this helps somewhat
  • Posted

I honestly dont think that taking birth control is going to make a difference. And actually from what I have read online there have been many women that have found birth control to be the very reason that has caused them to have bv because of how it changes the hormone levels and stuff in your body. The only reason I know this is because I looked it up to see if me taking birth control is what was causing the bv that I had because I had never taken birth control in my life (I'm 28 btw), and about 3 months after starting it is when I started having the bv. Then again it could have also occured because of a new partner.

Now I am cured from bv because of the vitamin regime that I have been on for the past 3 months. I've done a lot of research. The vitamins dont work immediatley. I would recommend taking the vitamins for 3 weeks, taking a round of metronidazole (anti-biotic) prescribed by  your doctor at the mark of the 3rd week while continuing the vitamin regime and you should not havethe problem anymore...it is what has worked for me, and I wish that every woman would try it! You may have read my comment about what I do before...but just in case here is my regime:

1.) When BV reoccured went to the doc and took metronidazole pills prescribed.

2.) Changed my body wash soap to Johnson and Johnson baby wash (doc told me it has the right amount of PH balance in it the vagina needs).

3.) Started taking Multi-Vitamin for her once per day.

4.) Taking 1 Femdophilus pill twice a day (one in the morning one at night).

5.) 1 500 mg Folic Acid Tablet a day.

6.) 1 Vitamin D3 1,000 IU once per day (before bed)

7) 1 Vitamin C tablet per day.

I would say that it took a second round of metro before I was in the clear because all of the vitamins take at least 3-4 weeks max to start absorbing in your system really good so if this does not work the first time you start the regime take a second round of metronidazole, but continue the above regime and you WILL notice a difference. Dont miss any days of taking the pills...! I plan to decrease to 1 FemDophilus after I see that I am clear after my third cycle but I know that this is working!

If nothing else seems to be working for you..I HIGHLY recommend trying this...Don't skip any days of the regime..as you do it you will get used to it! Good Luck though in whatever cures you :-)

• Posted

Hi Nedra, can't take the antibiotics I am allergic to that type : (  I wash with the Johnson baby soap, and I am doing the vitamin c , d and folic acid and the multi's .I am taking two types of probiotics not that brand tho.   Have been taking those for over a year nothing is helping : ( ... Thank you for your suggestions 
    • Posted

Oh wow, I'm sorry that you are allergic to them sad How many IU's of vitamin D3 are you taking may I ask?
    • Posted

1,000 is GOOD but I would suggest upping that to 2,000 IU extra per day. I have 2,000 IU of D3 in the Multi Vit. for her that I am taking and I added an extra 1,000 IU at night before bed. I got that idea from a woman's cure post that I found in a different forum. She said she saw on the doctor OZ show that taking 3,000 IU a day for 3 months is what healed her. I'm suggesting that maybe you might want to buy D3 gel capsules of 1,000 IU to add to your regime....just a suggestion. I use that brand of D3 1,000...they are tiny clear beige capsules; easy to swallow.
    • Posted

Hmm...i might second that...if you are already taking Mult Vit. for her then that means that you are taking a seperate 1,000IU pill correct? If that is the case then you are already taking 3,000 D3 IU a day..correct me if I'm wrong....just looked at your other posts.
    • Posted

Sounds like a good idea ...thanks for the suggestion...will run out tomorrow and get some : ) 
    • Posted

Okay! After you've been taking it for a while...like 3 weeks or so, let us know if you have any improvement! Rooting for you! You're doing all you can, and consistency is key in getting rid of this monster!
    • Posted

Does it matter what mg of vitamin c you take? And does it matter if it's with rose hip?

• Posted

Which femdophilus did you take 1 billion shelf stable of 5 billion refrigerated?

• Posted

Hi Anastasia, I have been on probiotics for over a year and eight months I take two differnt brands, I also drink kefir.  I have tied taking the vitamins woman have suggested on this site...have tried most of the other suggestion suggested on this site....eat a pretty healthy diet ..I am getting really frustrated...I use the ph refresh..helps for a few days but comes back...Gyno mentioned the pill might be an option.  Just wondering if anyone has tried it and had any luck : )  or any other suggestions....thank you
    • Posted

Hi collette, sorry that it hasn't worked for you. Can I ask which probiotics you have used? Also Have you considered getting tested to check your bacteria levels? And maybe to see if you have anything else going on too? Yeast, parasites etc? Might be worth seeing a nutritionist who can help you along your journey to better health.
    • Posted

Vh essentials probiotic & cranberry and I was taking the refresh brand of probiotics but Monistat just came out with them and they have more of the same type of probiotics in them plus some antioxidantsantioxidants
    • Posted

Collette the probiotics you are taking has only 1 billion cfus. 10 billion at least are needed to make a difference. If you can go for the 50 billion ones even better - critical care is meant to work well.
    • Posted

With the two bands combined I am taking about 9 billion...I will try the ones you suggested and keep my fingers crossed...thank you : )
    • Posted

You're welcome. Probiotics that are kept in the fridge are meant to be the best kind. The one I took was liquid so was definitely LIVE. But good luck and keep persevering. If the probiotics don't work - think about seeing a naturopathic doctor as there may be something else that needs to be sorted out. Good luck collette and let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.