BV For 8 months... very depressed

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone... any and all comments on this will be very appreciated. I've been struggling with BV for almost 9 months now. I was misdiagnosed at first and finally after seeing my gyn a few months ago I was finally diagnosed with BV. I have tried both metronidazole gel (sorry if spelled incorrect) and clindamycin cream suppositories. Both of which definitely helped but it is still very present. I have not tried oral metronidazole (flagyl) because I have heard all it does is worsen the infection. I have tried probiotics for a month and still hasn't cleared. I've been on these forums day & night trying to find some good advice but all I find is contradicting opinions on what to do. I have a few things to try some home remedies but am a little discouraged because I know different things work for different people and just want to find what wilk hopefully work for me. This has become very tiring and frustrating. This is also completely ruining my dating life and also putting a huge strain on my day-to-day life....

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Also I don't even care about the smell anymore.. i just really want the horrible discharge and feeling of something always being up there to go away. It is so uncomfortable I hate even putting on any kind of pants.

• Posted

Girl you said it. This is literally me. Going on 9 months and I've gotten better but it's a roller coaster of back and forth between better and a flare up. Im so depressed. I just don't know what to do anymore. Im going to see a holistic doctor but she's not available until September and she's very expensive. If it helps me at all I'll let you know. I have no faith in normal doctors anymore....

• Posted

I have had it consistently for 9 months. Mine only went away for one day and then cameback. Ugh to see how many women suffer is awful. Good luck to you and thank you!
  • Posted

please try pure sea salt in boiling water, u should try to sit in the bath and bring up the water jus to your belly i did try this but it was time consuming an very hot might i add but it does work very well for me , it’s hard at first don’t burn yourself trying but give it atleast 20 mins twice a day, and also pls make sure it’s sea salt and not iodized... and if this absolutely doesn’t work after 1-2 weeks u can try vitimin c , i do use it as a suppository and has to be 100% pure vit c tablets no coating no gel no release tabs i seem to have good luck with cheaper brands . go as far as u can up there, make sure u use a pad u will have some watery discharge come out but don’t let that scare you and also best to use half of one before bed each night if you sleep before it dissolves it’s better for everyone, should only need this for 1-1/2 weeks. i was diagnosed with this when i was 24 and now 27 still have it come back but i refrain from using things from the doctors bc in my eyes what i’ve been doing has kept it away for almost year at a time and more natural that these crazy gels and suppositories that they give us.. i know how depressing this is and it is the end of the world ... but your not alone i really hope this works for you 
    • Posted

Thank you so much! I will try to try these. My bank account is very limited which has kept me from doing anything. I am only 19 and very worried I will have to deal with this for an extended time. Never even knew thatBV was a thing til I got it. Good luck to you this thing is AWFUL.
  • Posted

boric acid soppositories 600 MG for at least 14 days. do this at night- semen and menses will change your PH no tampons, use condoms- the salt bath is a probably good idea because bacteria thrives in moisture and salt would dry it - try not to sleep with underwear (when your not doing the boric acid.) Ive had this for 6 years? I can only seem to treat it not cure it. stay away from refined sugar-  
    • Posted

I never sleep with underwear lol. I am so sorry you have been dealing with this for so long that is my exact fear. Sending the best of wishes your way!!
  • Posted

Abby,

I know how hard it is to live with this :”( I have had chronic BV for 2 years now and dating is impossible. I do have to deal with embarrassing odor at work and whenever I am out and about. I have not had sex at all since this all started. Doctors claim BV is not passed by men but I beg to differ... I believe my BV started 2 years ago after unprotected sex with a new partner. The odor gets worse each time I get my period. I have been to my Gynecologist many times and tried Metrodiazatole Gel, three different kinds of antibiotics, antifungal cream (Rx) and follow all steps like not using anything perfumey as far as body wash goes. I also use ph balancing tampons when I do have my time of the month... I have tried home remedies and the one that seems to help the most with odor are tea tree oil suppositories. These can be bought at Earth Fare which we have here in Florida. Or online through Amazon. I also take live probiotic pills once a day and I try not to eat anything with sugar as much as possible. Alcohol and caffeine and sugar seem to set mine off. I went on a carb free sugar free diet a few months back and it helped to lose a few pounds but it didnt help with my odor. There are so many different things to try but nothing seems to work and all ive done is blow money on this trying to get rid of it. I am so depressed and anxious I have actually been seeing a Psychiatrist once a month and I am now on medication.... I am so sorry for all of us women struggling with this horrible HORRIBLE disease. I hope the CDC finds a cure and FAST. 

Good luck and try to keep your head up! 

You are not alone. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comment. I am so sorry you've had to deal with this for so long. This definitely feels like a disease ... Good luck to you as well. I am glad we at least have a platform where we are able to share stories and support one another! Best wishes!!!

• Posted

Also I have read most contradicting on whether or not it is passed from men and sexually transmitted whatever... I don't know what to think. It obviously hurts my heart to think the worst as I am only 19 and have only been with two guys my whole life.

• Edited

I know all too well I've been dealing with reoccurring severe bv and yeast infections for 10 years, ive missed graduations family gatherings and basically life . my infections have been severe enough to contemplate suicide i would never take my life but I've certainly thought about it many times. I am allergic to all oral medications treating both and am with both bv and yeast now. I've tried boric acid suppositories I've tried whatever can be suggested with all fail . if anyone has some advice or solutions please help thank you

• Posted

Hi Abby! I’ve had it for about a year and a half, and I’m trying Boric acid suppositories with a little coconut oil to ease because it’s so drying. I know some people recommend two a day, but that made me bleed so definitely do just one a day at night for 7-14 days and wear panty liners. Use probiotic suppositories during the day to regrow all the good bacteria. This is the first time in a year and a half that I’ve noticed the smell and consistency of discharge disappear so hopefully something is going right. I’ve just started it too so I’ll keep you updated 😊

• Posted

I'm so glad things are looking up for you!!! That is great to hear. Yes please keep me updated!! But I am very skeptical on boric acid as I have read many things about it making you bleed. Like I said there's so many darn contradicting opinions it's so frustrating!!! Best wishes to you!

• Posted

BV is very depressing and I wish someone would come up with a cure for it😭please let me know if anything works for you!

• Posted

A commonly prescribed treatment for BV is a 7-day course of an oral antibiotic, or a 5- to 7-day course of antibiotic gel or cream applied inside the vagina. There are no over-the-counter or holistic remedies that have been proven to effectively or safely treat BV.

It's recommended NOT to drink alcohol during treatment (and for at least 24 hours after completing treatment) due to the possibility of an adverse reaction between the medicine and alcohol.

You may want to hold off on sex entirely until the optimal balance of bacteria is reached and your pH levels return to normal. You may also be advised to abstain from sex during treatment because oil-based cream medications can weaken condoms and/or diaphragms.

Pay attention, ladies, this is important: 60% of women who have BV are more than likely to see it return within 12 months. However, new advancements in treatment may soon help reduce the burdens caused by BV and current therapies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.