BV: Have antibiotics cured you or anyone you know? any input is values

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been dealing with this for the past 3 months chronically and i am considering taking antibiotics. I have e. coli BV, itching inside and out.

I have been to the doctor and got a full STD scan and all of it came back negative apart from e.coli.

They prescribed Amoxicillin which apparently my bacteria is sensitive too (they did an antibiogram). BUT all over the internet i have seen nothing but warnings to not take antibiotics, that it would make the problem worse, that it would come back in force. Now i have had yeast infections also in the past (quite severe actually) so i'm deathly afraid to take it and have it be useless or worse cause me to get an yeast infection. I should mention i have tried internet remedies: probiotics daily (of l.rhamnasus and l.reuteri), improving my digestion, taking d-mannose...and they seem to fail.

The only thing that helps is baking soda washes. I also heard of putting probiotic ovules inside (i even bought a pack of them) but i am afraid that will make the itch worse.

Tell me: did antibiotics work for any of you/anyone you know? If i take them should my partner take them too (i highly doubt BV is not sexually transmissible since i seem to get it after sex with a condom even)?

i don't have any discernible odor (i had one single day of unpleasant smell in the last months) and discharge is in small concentrations and gelatinous and kind of gray-ish white...but the itchiness inside and outside is my biggest problem.

any advice would be welcomed.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello. Sorry you’re experiencing this too. I too have had chronic bv for years!! It was until this year that they prescribed me with oral antibiotics, previous years I was given a cream to insert for 7 days. Unfortunately, even with cream and oral antibiotics, bv keeps coming back. The itching is always there, followed by smelly odor, and A LOT of discharge. I get it bv with or without having sex. And it sucks because I’m in a relationship and I feel like it’s gone downhill because of bv. I’m afraid all the time of having intercourse because I know it’ll come back. It’s so frustrating. I’ve also read about inserting suppositories (probiotic kind) to help for recurrent bv but I haven’t tried it. I have an appointment Thursday I’m going to ask about boric acid and what probiotics are helpful. But to be honest probiotics haven’t helped me : ( I cut back on sugar intake, shower twice, wear lose clothing and NOTHING!!! The thing with antibiotics is that they kill both good and bad bacteria so I think that’s what messes me up. I’ve been told that guys aren’t treated for bv but it doesn’t make sense to me why they wouldn’t. I’ll ask more questions Thursday and get back to you. I have a new obgyn so hopefully she’s helpful. 
    • Posted

thanks, do let us know

what i do to help with the itching is a sodium bicarbonate rinse of the affected areas.

• Posted

It’s crazy because BV is the imbalance of your PH. so you have to figure out what is causing the imbalance. First I took antibiotics and then I clearned it. After that I started looking at what I was doing during sex so I started eliminating causes. Turns out. My own saliva down there is what causes my BV. I was always horribly frustrated. But I took charge. Also holistic doctors are a huge help with this problem. 
    • Posted

yeah, sadly for me is seems to come back even without sex. i use condoms and i don't have oral sex performed on me anymore.

• Posted

I have used Greek yoghurt on a cotton bud to put inside the vagina along with hydrogen peroxide which is an antiseptic. I have taken fluconzole tablet for candida= thrush. I have had sea salt baths. I previously had antibiotics metronidazol gel one tube for one week to put inside the vagina that did not work neither did two prescriptions of tinidazole antibiotic take two at the same time. Do not leave the Greek yoghurt too long in the fridge as I got worse from using this but felt better by buying yoghurt Greek only and replacing after a couple of days. I took probiotic by mouth and vaginally though I felt dizzy from them. I am better now.
  • Posted

Sorry u are dealing with this rite now. Next time you go back to the doctor, ask him about culturelle (probiotic). It's around $30 at the pharmacy. The antibiotics are good fighting infections, but also destroying good bacteria which needs to be restored. Hopes this helps

• Posted

thanks, i already take probiotics 3 billion cpus per day and nothing. they just make me bloated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.