BV is getting better!

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I first realized I had BV, I was scared to tell my mother. Mind you, I'm young and I did not want her to suspect I was having sex because I got an infection. I dealt with BV for a year and made my poor boyfriend suffer with me sad whenever we would have sex there would be a terrible smell and my discharge would stain his sheets every time.   He's very understanding and didn't even talk about it until I brought it up.  I would search on google for hours everyday looking for home remedies. I've tried Vagisil odor block, act on a tampon, yogurt on a tampon and inserting vitamin c.  Ladies, let me just tell you all of those things made the smell 10x worse and made me produce a lot more nasty discharge so I DO NOT recommend doing any EXCEPT for the vitamin c insert.  After the first 10 months of Bv, I tried the vitamin c insert 2x a day for about 3-4 days and my BV went away. There was no more smell or weird discharge. However, after 2 months, I went to the beach and I guess the water threw my ph off and I got it again.  This time me and my mom were closer and she was more understanding. I told her I was having abnormal discharge and a bad smell so she took me to the doctor. I had my first pap smear done and they confirmed that I had Bv. I was given some type of shot (sorry I can't remember what the nurse said it was) and I am now prescribed Flagyl ( Metronidazole) 500 to take 2x a day for 7 days, I am on the second day and I can already tell a HUGE difference. I do not have as much discharge and the fishy odor is not as strong. I am also taking a probiotic to make sure I am getting back good bacteria since the antibiotics kill both good AND bad bacteria in your system making you more prone to reoccurrence. 

If there's anyone out there who is ashamed to go to the doctor to get treated or afraid to tell their parents, please take my advice and make your health a priority. Doctors have seen worse and if you are afraid to tell your mother just know that BV is caused my a number of things like soap, diet, or leaving on a pad/liner too long. So don't worry if you think you'll be accused of having sex.

ANOTHER thing I'd like to talk about is the fact that many women claim the antibiotics do not work. This was another reason I held off on telling my mom to take me to the doctor because I thought there would be no point since so many people aren't being cured by the antibiotics. PLEASE just try the antibiotics. Everyone's body is different and if you leave BV untreated it can lead to issues in pregnancy and PID.

I will update you all when I finish everything I've been prescribed. Also if you have any questions please let me know.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So glad you are getting better and have such a great boyfriend! I know how uncomfortable BV can be. If you find out what kind of shot you where given let me know. I think women say antibiotics don't work because the infection keeps reoccurring later. But i agree with you, were all different and our bodies respond differently to treatment.

• Posted

That's brilliant Mandy glad to hear your on the mend.

Also instead of using feminine washes use Aqeous cream ( which can also be used as a soap ) as a intemit wash. Many women make the mistake of using these feminine washes and  they add to the problem. Read the NHS site for Bv and that's what they recommend the Aqeous cream and it really does help.

• Posted

UPDATE: I'm on day 4 of Flagyl and so far the symptoms I've had are: itchiness, diarrhea, and tender breasts(either from Flagyl or my period is coming) but everything so far has been bearable. I'd also like to mention this for anyone who is is about to take Flagyl, - the pill is extremely chalky. It starts dissolving in your mouth really quickly and tastes terrible! It's best to drink a juice with it instead of water.  On the bright side though, All my symptoms are gone.. No more odor or discharge. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I'm getting NO discharge. Not even the clear like I used to get before I had BV. I'm worried that its making me dry..  I'll check back in again in a couple of days and update you on how I'm doing . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.