BV, Yeast and never ending burning

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys,

I am new to all this. I am reaching out because I quite frankly am at the end of my rope with what to do. I need help, help that my doctor just can't seem to  provide.

Heres my story:

April 2016 I started feeling a burning sensation that felt kind of like a yeast/uti problem. I went to the gyno, and was told I had BV and yeast. Ive had recurrent BV for a few years now so not totally a suprise... but through all the BV I have had I have never experienced such a painful burning sensation like this. Not when I pee, but just a constant pain that feels, not to be graphic but like somebody scrapped rusty nails against my vagina. I then went down the happy trail of antibitoics ... First Metrogel and then Difulcan, then Tindamax with Diflucan and then Clindamycin with Diflucan.. and a whole bunch of vitamins and home remedies along the way. Every test and culture comes back fine.. other than my elevated PH and slightly above average sugar my blood work and urine looks great. 

As a stretch... my doc put me on Valtrex because I have tested positive... like 90% of the population for HSV1... and again.. the burning never ceased. We then tried boric acid suppositories, which helped a little I think.. but still though the BV is gone.. STILL the inflamation exists. It has barely ever dulled since the beggining of this. I don't know what to do anymore... I am frustrated and just emotionally drained. Everything these days makes me cry.. I am 27 years old and I am in more pain than I could ever imagine...I keep hearing don't worry this won't be permanent... after 3 months its hard to think there is a light at the end of the tunnel... Suggestions? 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like you may have Lichen Sclerosis. Take a look at the LS boards and if you feel the symptoms are similar go back to your doctor and ask for a referral to a vulva dermatologist. 
    • Posted

Thanks Samantha! I have an appointment in August to see a urologist and a new doc that specializes in Vulvodynia. Sucks I have to wait so long. They have me on Prednisone now, not really sure what it will fix but nothing else has worked so it can't hurt right? 

I am not sure about the Lichen Sclerosis.. I don't really have any white spots or anything... A part of the outer lips is lighter but I think its looks that way becasue the surrounding tissue is so red and inflammed. I will certaintly ask my doc about it though thanks for the input!

• Posted

Hi there....I'm sorry to hear about your problems I really am.  I struggled for so long and know the pain you describe.  I am about 10 years older than you and I now know I should have known better but no one ever teaches you these things as you grow up. So I will be blunt......how are you washing down there? Every time you go to the Dr or the Gynae or the Consultant, or whatever do you wash down there? Are you washing inside the vagina at all or washing more than once a day.  Unbelievably I went on for months and months after initially having thrush to then constant soreness and burning inside my vagina.  Turns out it was all the constant washing.  I would wash to ensure I was presentable for the Dr and the tests but in doing so I was actually washing off the good bacteria that protects us.  I felt lovely and clean but in fact I was causing the soreness and burning by cleaning myself too much and now realise that you are actually cleaner if you leave it all alone and just rinse once a day with plain water.  Anything else will irritate and you just need water and a quick wipe.  It's just another avenue to explore as I had no idea just what I was doing to myself. If you've had BV then you are probably very careful to keep clean down there and wash and with all the Dr visits you don't want to go all smelly....BUT trust me about two weeks after leaving it all alone down there the pain stopped and the soreness went.  I am trying to be helpful as in the end for me I was so bad I couldn't go out.  All that upset and stress was for me down to my cleanliness which seems incredible.  Take care xx

• Posted

As well I forgot to say every time the Dr prescribed something I tried it which made me drier and in turn worse. the lidocaine burnt, the pessaries burnt, the creams made me sore and cry and it was just a vicious circle as then I was trying to wash them off and then I was dry and sore again. Xxx
    • Posted

As far as washing down there I would say I am actually pretty good about not overdoing in. I don't use soap or body washes and just use plain water.

You are right though about the constant treatments... The pessaries burn and quite frankly I am tired of feeling like I peed my pants all day dripping them out... Not very sexy ??. The only thing that has sort have helped are the refresh inserts...

I just want an answer to my pain... It just can't be like this forever.

• Posted

I'm not a Dr but I am pretty certain that you won't be like this forever.  I thought that too at one point and remember ringing my husband in tears after a very rude unhelpful Dr was not very understanding.  I really dreaded being like that in pain and soreness forever.  And I'm not now and you won't be either once this episode is sorted out and behind you.  You must keep us informed of how you are getting along.  

• Posted

I also know that boric acid can cause irritation and burning even when used properly in a suppository and once your skin down there is inflamed or irritable nothing like boric acid is going to help.  I learnt that the skin down there is ultra sensitive and can take a bad reaction to things that we often use on our hands or faces etc etc. How long has it been since you actually stopped using any creams or lotions or suppositories?  Also I have to ask where about are you in the world? I am in the UK,
    • Posted

Annie,

I am in the US. I have used the suppositiries off an on and have been of this time for about 5 days. They as usual left me feeling pretty rough inside but it has been the only thing to help with the recurrent BV. My urine is darker and has the amonia like smell to it throughout the day again. Not sure if the BV has come back or what sad

• Posted

I'm having trouble with burning and it hurts to sit for a long period of time. My gyno just suggests removing my ovaries since i have a cyst but I've been getting this since i was 15 yrs old and its not my ovaries. I go to a urologist tomorrow but I'm sick of doctors that cant tell me what is wrong. I have no cervix or uterus just my ovaries. I had a vaginal ultrasound Friday so i think that made it worse. Ive had this problem for months now. Im at my wits end

• Posted

I've been reading a lot of ladies on this site having problems so I decided to give my experience in the hopes it will be of some help.   I had a similar problem to you (I'm 55) and I had all sorts of diagnoses from various doctors and nothing they prescribed helped.  Then I came down with gastro-enteritis and couldn't eat for around 5 days: and the horrible painful itching downstairs cleared right up!  That was my first clue that I was probably sensitive to some food or other.  I did an exclusion diet, slowly re-introducing different foods, and I found that one of the main triggers to the itch was whenever I ate potato!  I'd never even had a problem with it before, but it seems that as I've gotten older, I can no longer tolerate it.  I cut it out of my diet entirely, along with it's plant "cousins" - I found I get a painful itch if I eat any of the Solonacea family, including: potato, chilli, tomato, eggplant, capsicum (I believe they're also called bell peppers?) and tobacco. If I occassionally accidentally eat one of this diverse family, I find that an anthistamine can relieve the symptoms now I'm not overwhelmed by eating them every day.  I hope this helps you - best of luck!

Minamii 

• Posted

I have almost an identical story to yours. I'm in Canada and have had no luck getting a diagnosis or seeing a competant doctor. I was actually thinking about going to the US for medical help. My problems started in April as well. Have you had any luck getting a diagnosis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.